THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester Model 70 .22 Hornet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 .22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Were the factory barrels for the Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet for bullet diameters of .223 or .224?
Thanks!

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.224 Most if not all .223 bore were reworked 22 rimfires, M1922 Springfield, old Savage Sporter types, etc from the 1920's. For the record M54 Wins are also .224

ETA: I may very well be wrong. I have owned a few pre 64 Win 70 Hornets and also Hornets that were bumped to 222 Rem. I know some sources specified they are .224". I just checked Rifleman's Rifle by Roger Rule and it lists the 220 Swift with a .219" Bore and 22 Hornet with .217". FWIW I always shot 224" diameter bullets through them, even the 222's!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 54, and Model 70 Hornets had .223 barrels.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 54 in 22 Hornet, and shoot Sierra's .223 diameter Hornet bullets in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My early 1930s M54 Hornet shoots .224 bullets just fine. Great accuracy with no pressure problems. Try both bullet sizes and see if one shoots better.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
My early 1930s M54 Hornet shoots .224 bullets just fine. Great accuracy with no pressure problems. Try both bullet sizes and see if one shoots better.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the 224 bullets. I have some loaded up for a Ruger 77 and a Browning Huntsman Hornet.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is true or not but I recently heard that this combo, Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet is Hotsh$t's favorite go to rifle for deer.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I don't know if this is true or not but I recently heard that this combo, Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet is Hotsh$t's favorite go to rifle for deer.

Also in Afrika. They shoot Zambizi's with the Hornet there.. It's very effective....

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:

don't forget, loaded with Blue Dot... his favorite powder...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Their is no telling how many deer I shot from the age of 12 to about 20 with my Savage .22 Hornet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37889 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I suspect Roger Rule was referring to "land" diameters, when he mentioned bore diameters as .217" and .219". That would be the diameters some individual barrels were bored to before being rifled.

I have owned a lot of factory-barreled both pre-'64 AND pre-war M70s, as well as M-54s, both Hornets and Swifts, over the years and found neither 70s nor 54s were always exactly what one might expect.

At one time it was fairly normal for bullet makers like R.B. Sisk to provide both .223" and .224" bullets. Often I found, particularly in the Swifts, that one size might work better than the other, but it wasn't absolutely predictable which size might be best for any one gun. I could only find out for sure by trying each size in every Winchester-made Hornet or Swift rifle I acquired.

I still have on hand a thousand or so Sisk 55-grain .223" "Express" bullets which I use a few of from time to time to test any new-to-me older Winchester manufactured Swift I happen to come by.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote