THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    WSSM's have double the barrel life of a 22-250
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSSM's have double the barrel life of a 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Nosler reloading guide #4, page 118. Chub Eastman writes:

"....... Every Prairy Dog shooter's dream. (snip) As I stopped to refill the bucket, and the adrenaline subsided, I could smell charred wood and made the mistake of touching the barrel with my trigger finger. Another "cooked" barrel.

After rebarreling my trusty 22-250 twice, it was designated as a rock chuk rifle where the shooting was not so fast and furious."

I'd like to thank Mr. Eastman for making the point. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After looking at those graphs, I've discovered that the .220 Swift must have 3 times the barrel life of the .223 WSSM as I've shot a couple of them over 3500 rounds and they would still shoot MOA when I threw them in the dumpster. If those .22-250 barrels are shot out after 750 rounds, they can mail me their worn out barrels I'll use them. This is total BS.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I love the Claymore Mine and Howitzer comments, really cracked me up! Chromelined barrels you say? I am sure all of you "old timers", remember during the Viet Nam era, all the M-16's, that were recalled because the "chrome" was peeling in the barrels? Also, one of my young friends, had to have a 223 WSSM, because I had 220 Swifts, and our other shooting buddy had 22-250's. So he ordered one, a Winchester Coyote, nice rifle. The day the rifle arrived Winchester recalled it because of problems with the chrome lining,plating, whatever. But once my young friend got his rifle back, it shot real well. I think there is some merit to chrome lining, but I am inclined to go along with the other guys, I think the test is bullshit, also. By the way, if I needed another 22, I would consider the 223 wssm, the sample we have performs ALMOST as good as my SWIFT.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Young:
quote:
Reckon I'll have to bury my M70 actioned 22-250, re-barreled over 30 yrs ago with thousands of rounds through the Douglas premium barrel, still showing supberb accuracy although it is long since worn out. Guess the old 30X Unertl has gotta go too for something with a lot of knobs and plastic on it too. I won't see the next 30 yrs, but send me a smoke signal and let me know how many short mags are still here.

Old and worn out?

Well Joe you never know if you had one of those WSSM super barrels you might be putting a couple of zeros to right of that decimal in front of that group size. lol Good shooting.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by HiWall:
When they make one statement of 'fact' - that a .22/250 will go from 1" groups, to 4" groups after firing around 800 rounds (we all know that is bullshit), the rest of the test is bullshit as well.

Deliberate misrepresentation to sell product.

Dutch? papa? MajorBSer? Comments?

Sure. If I had to guess, I would say that neither rifle was cleaned during the duration of the test. The loss in accuracy as illustrated in the test I would bet is not due to erosion but due to carbon buildup in the throat area. The chrome lined tube does better longer because of the reduced propensity to foul in this area. I see this as the most likely reason for accuracy going to hell so fast.

Also for the record I would bet that both rifles would be back to sub inch with a good cleaning. Regardless, the test still means something to folks who would rather shoot than clean. And it also dispells the barrel burner tripe.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little to the side of the topic but, the key to barrel life is keep it clean !!!

The local pawn shop guy caught on to what I was doing but I used to go in and straight ask him which guns people said wouldnt shoot. I picked up a brand new looking 22-250 BDL for just ofer $250. Brought it home run a sweets patch through it and just the prettiest blue you ever saw. Soaked over night with wipe out and took it to the range. It shoots .75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 with rem factory el-cheapo bullets. .4 groups with 55 gr sierra varminter in front of Ramshot Big Game. Now he cleans them all and I cant get the deals any more.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
quote:
quote:
Reckon I'll have to bury my M70 actioned 22-250, re-barreled over 30 yrs ago with thousands of rounds through the Douglas premium barrel, still showing supberb accuracy although it is long since worn out. Guess the old 30X Unertl has gotta go too for something with a lot of knobs and plastic on it too. I won't see the next 30 yrs, but send me a smoke signal and let me know how many short mags are still here.

Old and worn out?

Well Joe you never know if you had one of those WSSM super barrels you might be putting a couple of zeros to right of that decimal in front of that group size. lol Good shooting.

I will give you $200 for it, just like it is, worn out barrel and all!

Nice shooting thumb

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you screw up your eyes and stare for long enough, Wink you can see the blue sky in the claims that the WSSM's outshoots the 22-250. animal

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a three shot group with my Rem 700 22-250 that has about 500 to 800 rounds thru it and the three shot group was 1/2" at 100 yds. Shot 55 gr HP bullets at 3600 fps.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too many variables, when testing anyhting you have one variable at a time.

If you want to test chrome vs carbon you would use the same cartridge, load and bullet along with firing sequence.

If you want to test 22-250 vs 223WSSM you would use the same barrels.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote