New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .222 becoming obsolete?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, the results you are seeing here, are probably being somewhat skewed by the audience of certified "gun nuts" you encounter on this site. I have no doubt that the ratio of 222 vs 223 would be significantly different in the "real World" - at least in the US. In Europe (at least in my neck of the woods), the .222 Rem still has the upper hand on the .223 - no real availability of cheap surplus ammunition to boost the .223 over here.

Either round is great, I certainly hope they will both live on forever more!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I agree with what you say about the audience voting here! I'd thought of that myself and it would explain a lot. As you said I just don't think that the membership here is a very representative sample of gun buyers in general. Having said that I'm glad to be in the presence of so many "certifiable gun nuts".

Great to be here guys!!!

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where I come from (Long Island), I would have to say the .222 appears dead.

This is a real shame as I feel it's one of the greatest catridges ever developed. Many decades ago, Mike Walker of Remington fame let the shooting world know just how accurate the triple deuce was at the bench.

I bought my one and only .222 in 1981. A Remington 700 Varmint Special that today still easily outshoots my 700PSS in .223.

I feel that if all the folks who never fired a .222 but own a .223, had a chance to fire a .222, they would then pressure manufacturers to bring them back and their popularity would soar.

Have always felt very lucky to own a triple deuce and will always consider it my favorite cartridge.

Safe shooting.

Posts: 14 | Location: North Babylon, NY, U.S.A. | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is NO! Now that's if I understand the meaning of obsolete.It will not be like a 6mm Navy, 30/40 Krag or even the .30 Rem.It will always have a fair following somewhere even though the markets it onced excelled in are grossly over crowded. When the short fat settles out and a marketable cartride is sought maybe some marketeer will see the light. You guys accross the pond keep it going and the next time instead of using the word OBSOLETE replace it with VENERABLE. How many deaths has the .257 Roberts and 7x57 had? The 8x57 never really had a manufacturing life in this country and yet there are more 8x57 rifles in this country than any other rifle.VENERABLE. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I like your attitude about the 222, but it pains me to hear the word obsolete used in conjunction with the 6mm lee navy, 30-40 Krag, and 30 Rem. I feel if given a fair shake any of these cartridges would have just as much life in them as many of the popular flash in the pan cartridges filling gun racks. I'm particularly fond of the 30 Rem and 6mm navy. I think a 30 rem in a good light bolt gun or solid semi would make a solid brush huntin' rig. I think it would be neat if Rem would run one of their four centerfires designed for the Model 8/14 in their 700 classic one of these years. That would have me racin' to my dealer to get on the waiting list! As far as the 6mm lee navy it was a victim of poor timing I think. I've heard a number of fellow posters on other forums make remarks to the tone of it being a cartridge way ahead of it's time and available technology. In a modern arm loaded to it's full potential with modern components I too am of the opinion it would be one hell of a cartridge!!! For 2-3 yrs now I've been looking at the viability of building a true to original 6mm lee-navy chambered gun and have found that finding components to be formed into match dimensions is going to be quite the challenge! Still looking though!!!!!

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying and I couldn't agree more. But although it may pain me also no rifles anywhere are commercially produced and to my knowledge no ammo is being produced. I may not like it but it looks like the word fits and I can't think of any scenario that would make any of the three cartridges have a rebirth. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
tdobesh,
If you want a 6mm Lee Navy the brass is easily formed from 220 Swift. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overlooked is the fact that the .223 comes in the AR15 platform. High Power match shooters have developed super-accurate components like barrels, twists, triggers, etc. for this rifle, with its 2-point bedding (or lack thereof) that make it the inferior to no varmint rifle, bolt action or otherwise. It shoots bullets up to 80 grains into 0.5 MOA or better all day. Take it apart. Put it back together. It never changes its zero. Clean it and it never fails to feed.

one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna' try to make this the last post that's kind of off topic. I don't really want to lead this string astray.

Jim, at the very beginning that's exactly what I was thinking was that the 220 swift would be a great source to form 6mm navy off of since the 220's parent is the 6mm navy. Early on people pointed out the fact that the 220 swift is shorter than original spec. 6mm navy. Therefore in order to form a propper 6mm navy you need to redraw the 220 swift which in turn stretches and thins the case walls. Not really what I'd like to do. And you'd still need to turn down the case head. Right now I'm kind of researching swaging down some of the more common cases with more length. Like I said, still researching the matter.

one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post

222 obselete.... not where I come from (the highlands of Scotland), it is still very popular for Roe deer and foxes,although its use on deer in England is illegal (243 min).
Sako ammunition is relatively cheap too offers good out of the box accuracy.

steady cross hairs
Roebuck 222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Herrberg, I agree with you. I had a Rem. 722 in .222, and when the Army switched to 5.56mm, I had it rechambered. Big mistake!! I should have left it a .222!!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Herrberg, I agree with you. I had a Rem. 722 in .222, and when the Army switched to 5.56mm, I had it rechambered. Big mistake!! I should have left it a .222!!

When I purchased a nice Sako .222 Rem, by gunsmith was keen to rechamber it to .223 for me.

I seriously considered it, but fortunately I tested for accuracy in the original .222 chambering! I'm glad I didn't touch it because it probably would have decreased accuracy -- surely there was no room for improvement!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy all the topics on the 222 rem. I also enjoy the comments about the 220 swift 400 yard shots. Yes, you can shoot 400 yds. with both especially if you have a ATN scope with a BDC. But I wouldn't trade my 220 swift for my 222 rem. or vice versa. They are different tools for different jobs and I enjoy both very much..... Keep up the comments guys...This beats reading the daily news any time...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice the max number of users ever online at once (click on Main Index and check out the bottom left corner of the window)? Looks like the forum has chosen its favorite...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by RonsGuns

one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
The biggest draw back I can think of for the 222mag is that to my knowledge no one is producing ammunition or even cases for it right now! This would be a very serious issue to have to tackle!! Of coarse there are options. In my shooting library I have several of the case forming guides and the typical solution given is to form off of a 223Rem and just live with a short neck/case. Now with the 204 Ruger out I think there might be a serious possibility of forming a full length case off of those. Better yet maybe someone will start producing 222mag cases again since they're so similar. I kind of hope it will lead to a renewed interest in the 222mag. I guess wait and see is the phase of the day.

one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post

Hi all,

I dont know if you can get Sako Ammo in the states,but it is readily available in europe,and according to their web site www.sako.fi they supply .222 rem mag ammo.

I've used the 55gr game head in .222 and very good stuff it is as well.

Cheers Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote