New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer TNT in 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone loaded the 50g Speer TNT bullets in the 22-250? Although not recommended for the higher velocities, it seems some have had success with them.

I used loading data for the Speer 50g spitzer. Using 34.0 to 38.0 g of RL-15 with CCI Br primers. I loaded one each starting at 34.0 and going up in 0.3g increments. So far I have worked up to 36.7g with no signs of high pressure and the bullets have stayed together.

The interesting thing is that the 10 rounds form a group that has about 3/8 inch spread vertically and about 1-5/8 horizontally. The point of impact gradually move to the right as the powder charge increased. The last 5 were in a group 3/8 X 5/8.

Should I push on toward 38.0g, or should I quit and settle for something around 36.1 – 36.4?

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
A/C It depends on what you are really looking for? Accuracy only, or speed and accuracy, speed only, what is it? You are doing a great job by going in .3 grain increments in this size case, and your observations are going to be meaning full to you as you proceed. I would run the enitre course with the bullets and powder, so that there will be no lingering doubts as to what might be. Then when you think that you have the best possible load, play with length, primer, and tiny powder differences. Good luck and good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the 50 TNT in a pair of sporter 22-250's. Win. M70 Featherweight and Ruger M77 Standard rifle. 35.5 -H4895 gives just over 3500 in both of them and is the most accurate load I've found in either. Doubt it will be too fur friendly though!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Speers 50 grain TNT works fine in the 22-250. Drive as fast as you want in the 14" twist barrels. I've run it through the Swift as well and it's a great bullet.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will work well with the MV below 3500 to 3600 fps.. also using it in a one in 12 twist or slower....

in faster twists you have to throttle it down even slower, or it well vaporize due to the high rotational spin ( rpms)....

a very accurate bullet tho...if you want a HP and faster velocity, try the 52 grain HP Speer...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
according to their website, Speer also makes a 50 gr TNT bullet for "high velocity"

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelt damage in not an issue, as these are being loaded for groundhogs.

Accuracy first, speed is secondary.

As 308Sako pointed, I might as well run the course, then pick out the most promising range and home in on the best load.

Thanks to all.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As 308Sako pointed, I might as well run the course, then pick out the most promising range and home in on the best load.

thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Take my advice on the 22-250 with a 50 gr TNT, If you are after a chronogaph, the TNT stops 'em dead!

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A/C Guy: I recommend instead of the 50 grain TNT bullet for your 22-250 you go with the amazing Sierra 50 gr. Blitz bullet!
I have used these fine bullets for many years now and they are impressively explosive, VERY accurate and pretty economical as well.
Please give these a try.
I even use these bullets (55 grain Blitz's) in a couple of my 220 Swifts!
Speeds that I attain in my 22-250's and 220 Swifts do not cause mid-flight disassembly of these bullets, at all.
Good luck with the 22-250!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA couple of us have pushed the 50gr TNT past 3700fps. with great paper punching accuracy. That was with a couple of 22-250s. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have done so also, but at that velocity some of them vaporize here and there so I gather that the velocity is hitting the edge of the envelope at that point...

the 52 grain HP is just as accurate and pretty close to that explosive especially at that velocity and higher...

it is a good paper puncher also!

when I am down to 500 of either, It is time to hit the store again... both are a good part of my " go to" bullet stash for my 22 caliber shooting...especially if I am shooting them are varmints...

hey Roger, by the way, drop me a PM on how the Stevens in 223 is working out...

if you have an IMR 4064 around, may I suggest a load of 25 grains of 4064 and a 75, 77 or 80 grain match bullet and check out your group sizes ..... my Savage 12BVSS really loves that powder with those bullet weights, Match or A Maxes....

I am looking at ordering a batch of the new 80 grain A Maxes and see how those work out... a box of 600 of them from Grafs is selling for $73.99 plus $5.00 shipping..

Have you Friend John over at the range I met, try them in his Savage 12 BVSS.. I think he will like the results...

cheer
seafire
cheers