New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy bullet Swift?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone built up a 220 Swift with fast twist barrel to shoot the 70-90gr bullets? How did you like it?

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, did indeed do that very thing, 1/8 twist, 28" barrel(Douglas)and shot very well indeed w/ the 69 -80 grain Sierra MK's. Throat erosion after some 1000 rounds noticeable and switched over to the 22-250 w/ same bullets and dropped velocity down to right over 3000fps and could place in the high 190's at 1000 yards w/ micrometer sights. Used both Krieger and Douglas barrels and equal performance for me. No or little recoil and barrel life on that particular rifle was near 3000 rounds. If I would have cut the velocity down on the Swift probably have gotten a bit better life, but live and learn. Could get over 3000 fps easily w/ the 22-250 set up, but accuracy suffered some and in the 3050-3100fps range got excellent accuracy, .5moa or even less on some days. Good combo.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember what speed you were running the Swift? Have an interest in the Swift version, because of a lot of brass and br dies on hand.

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they were running in the 33-3500 range and warm I might add. I may have bumped the Jewell 1/2 lb. trigger one day at Oak Ridge, Tenn. w/ temps over 100 degrees, but could have sworn one "cooked" off in the chamber!! I actually passed out one day there w/ temps that high and hooded, heavy sweatshirt plus shooting jacket so anything is possible. I figure I bumped it, but such activity today would put me into the "big range in the sky..."
I know they are now offering the 90 grainers, but believe the suggested twist is 6.5 and you might be pushing the envelope w/ such an arrangement. Lots of folks are not aware that the Swift and the 22-250 are very intense rounds. Load carefully.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed the swift is a intense round to load for. It took me years to finaly develope a load for mine that worked.
Most swifts won't handle heavy bullets and most light bullets won't handle the velocity. I finally ended up using a 50 gr barns x @ about 3850.
I would think with a swift with a tight twist and heavy bullets you would need to approch your loads pritty conservitively

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting story about my first match with the "hot rod" 22-250 is that upon preparing to shoot my first sighter shot at a 600 yard match, my target suddenly went down and figured someone had cross fired and so informed the line officer. Target come back up a low 6 o'clock 10 and decided to shoot and it suddenly dawned on me that the rifle had went off and with such little recoil I did not know that it went off!! Pulled the trigger and nothing happened and sure enough, spent case in chamber. Having shot stout 190's in 308 and 300 Win Mag for many years and switching to the little 22, worlds of difference. Can say that the Krieger barreled rifle was very pleasant to shoot and scores went up very nicely. Wind dope was very similar to the 308 using the 155 Palma bullet. Overall a good experience and always thought it would be one hell of a long range critter/varmint set up and using a scope would even be better with a good bi pod or bag arrangement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i did it but in a 22/250 AI, (why i didn't use a swift is still unknown) anyway the 2 cases are very similar in capacity. I used a 8" twist hart bbl 40 gr of IMR 4831 and the 80 gr sierra. makes a great long range PD blaster

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Yes indeed the swift is a intense round to load for. It took me years to finaly develope a load for mine that worked.
Most swifts won't handle heavy bullets and most light bullets won't handle the velocity. I finally ended up using a 50 gr barns x @ about 3850.
I would think with a swift with a tight twist and heavy bullets you would need to approch your loads pritty conservitively

After playing with a lot of different loads in a fast twist 22/250.. I came to the conclusion the accuracy problems with bigger case 22 cal's is not the case or the round, it is the bullets...

most of these bullets were developed for 223 velocities..... when I adjusted the 22.250 loads to give me velocities down in the 2900 to 3000 fps range, those groups tightened right up, with a wide range of powders....

So a fast twist Swift is not a real TAC Driver with Heavier Bullets available.

if you do build one, I can recommend that the 75 grain Hornady HP Match ( not the AMax ) is the most accurate one I have played with.. in ANY faster twist 22 caliber case...

I of course, assume you are speaking of long range target applications.. if using for predators or varmints, remember a lot of these match bullets, will end up...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire has done a lot of testing on these projectiles..........

I have a 1:8 twist varmint contour barrel in 22-243........not the improved version.......and it shoots .4 all day with 69 and 77 Nosler CC's and even better with 70 TSX's........ Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote