THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Differences In Accuracy With Different Bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences In Accuracy With Different Bullets
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

As you all know, we have our friends the Vincents are here for a little break.

Roy likes the big guns, and Alan seems tp prefer the little ones.

So we tried to shoot the the 17MkIV.

We tried a load that we knew would shoot well in this rifle with Berger bullets.

The load is 14.3 VVN 130.

We thought of trying an experiment, and shoot two different bullets with it.

The 25 grain Hornady, and the 25 grain Woodchuck Den bullets - made by our friend Todd Kindler.

Here is a picture of the groups, shot by 3 people.

The larger groups are with the Hornady bullets, and the smaller groups are with the Woodchuck bullets.

Groups are;

Hornady - 0.940, 1.032, 0.756, 0.803, 0.641
Woodchuck Den - 0.127, 0.263, 0.241, 0.291, 0.233

All are 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JDD>
posted
WHAT, custom bullets did better then standards, holy smoke batman, I do not believe it

Next try two differant custom bullets. I shot Starkes and Hornadys, night and day between the two, but the thing is the price tag is allot differant also

Thanks for sharing sorry for being a smart ass

JD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to pop a few pdogs with those woodchucks.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Just yesterday, I did the same thing. However, mine was a very much head-to-head, apples-to-apples test.

My M700 PSS has been rebarrelled with a Shilen barrel. It shoots military M852, and my Sierra 168 MK loads, into one hole at 100 yds. I've been trying to develop a 175 MK load for the longer shots (1000 yds). The rifle just hates them. I've tried all kinds of loads, powders, charge weights, seating depths, etc. Nothing worked. I went to the range yesterday & set up at 300 yards with an assortment of 175 loads. With Chris Jamison (fellow poster here) watching trace through his Kowa, I finally got on a 2 ft by 2 ft backer. The best group I managed was about 6 inches. In frustration I put the rifle away, then realized I had brought some of my 168 loads as well. I shot these, and there was a nice little 1 1/4" group (300 yards). So the rifle showed me that it had nothing wrong with it, it just WILL NOT shoot 175's.

This is a test between two bullets, from the same maker, both match design, only 7 grains different in weight. There is a world of difference, in my rifle. Just goes to show that you need to look for a load for your individual rifle.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Gery,

I have a sim. problem w/ my favorite .338-06. It shoots 210grNP & any of the 250gr into just under an inch, but I can't get any brand of 225gr to shoot better than 1 3/4". Go figure?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Fred-

Frustrating, isn't it?

<khbaker>
posted
I've got a '96 Swedish Mauser that I rebarreled with a 24" 1-in-8 Shilen medium weight barrel. I wanted to use it for Mettalic Silhouette shooting, so I went for the 1-in-8 to stabilize the 140 grain bullets.

But it won't shoot 140 grainers. Or the 155 SMK either. It patterns instead of groups.

Drop down to the 120's and it's a tack-driver. That irritates the bejeezus out of me. A 120 is borderline for dropping the 500m rams, and the BC is poorer. Oh well.