New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Win. Super Mag. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you all think about the new .17 Win. Super Mag. cartridge?
This looks like a great varminting round.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some preliminary info floating; ammo said to be available in March/April. I plan to get one if the ammo street price is reasonable.

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the info on it the other day. Looks interesting. I am going to check it out at the SHOT Show next week.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is offered in a decent rifle, I might buy one.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Remington should take the old 5mm Rem case and make it a 22 caliber and put it out as the 22 Rem Super Mag. No 17 will ever out perform the 22 caliber if you pump the 22 caliber up as much. You can't ignore the heavier and higher BC of the 22 caliber rimfire. If they would make rifles that had better, or should I say, more of a match chamber for the 22 Win Mag rimfire I think it would have a revival.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can load and shoot a centerfire like a .17 Hornet cheaper. I don't see the point in having the rimfire unless a person is never going to reload, in which case the rimfire would be a tad less expensive.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
unless a person is never going to reload,

Dont forget thats MOST people!

Posts: 12 | Location: Canterbury NZ | Registered: 21 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushside:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
unless a person is never going to reload,

Dont forget thats MOST people!

Bingo! If some one decent makes a good rifle for it, I might just buy one and yes I do reload, a bunch.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting in some states such as Georgia centerfires are not allowed for fox , bobcat and other small game, only shotguns muzzleloaders or rimfires. Coyotes can be shot with centerfires. Yes it is a stupid law but it is the law. So any new rimfires are of interest to those of us who like to call in critters .The info I saw on this new 17 was , 20grain bullet at 3000 fps. Personally not that impressed, a 22 win mag still the best.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my wife's boss today. He said he saw one at the SHOT show but don't expect them as soon as they say.
Here in PA some areas also don't allow centerfires so this would be a nice rifle for those folks and Rug look at the ballistics and info again it blows the .22Mag away.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most current rimfire rifles are probably not readily adaptable to this round.

The following will be required.

1. New magazines
2. Longer actions and at least a longer bolt throw.

This requires investing the time of a $35 to $50/hr engineer to design.
Then prototyping and testing.
Then finally buying all the raw material and building inventory.

With the high labor costs in the US you may see crappy cheap designs and/or very high prices for something that is offering an alternative to a .22 rimfire.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually from the looks of it beside a .22 Hornet the same action would work. Just change the bolt for a rimfire.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
Actually from the looks of it beside a .22 Hornet the same action would work. Just change the bolt for a rimfire.
The Ruger 77H is a perfect example of an instantly adaptable action. Savage also has an action (can't tell you the designation) which would require virtually no modifications. I can name several actions that are now out of production that would do the same, and I'm sure there are several more I'm not aware of.

Besides, stretching the bolt and/or action port of any number of existing rimfire bolt action designs is silly-simple, and with CNC machining can be done with a computer mouse in less time that it takes to write this post.

The TC Contender/Encore merely needs the right barrel, as does any break open rifle like those from NEF or the foreign makers.

Will there be "crappy cheap" designs for this cartridge? Probably. But DESIGNS come from management and are not the fault of American labor, which is the most efficient and produces the highest per-hour value of any labor force in the world. Look it up, SR4759.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
You guys know I will buy a Blaser if it becomes available, but if not, this rifle is one I will bring home if it's chambered for the 17 Win Super Mag;

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...pull-fortner-action/

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will there be "crappy cheap" designs for this cartridge? Probably. But DESIGNS come from management and are not the fault of American labor, which is the most efficient and produces the highest per-hour value of any labor force in the world. Look it up, SR4759.

Look it up Stonecreek,
Designs are typically both cost and performance driven.
1. Cost
2. Schedule
3. Quality

Missing which one of these will generally get a manager or engineering manager fired first?
Right missing a schedule deadline or cost goal.
Quality is rarely a goal that is not compromised in someway.

The high value labor force does not get you much but high prices and junky designs. It makes no difference where the fault of the poor designs lie, you still get them just the same.

That is why so many companies avoid doing business with the high cost regions of the US eg the northeast and California.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote