New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 223 v hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had both the .223 and the .22 K-Hornet barrels for my contender carbine... both worked wonderfully well, but I found myself using the K-Hornet barrel almost exclusively, as it suits my purposes so well. I wanted a walk-around, plinking, small game slayer, that doesn't require ear muffs to enjoy shooting... the K-Hornet is a very user-friendly, inexpensive to shoot cartridge.
Having said that, the .223 can be loaded down pretty successfully, if desired.... and has a much greater range than the Hornet, if loaded up to normal velocities.
I'm a little out of the norm, I suppose, because I very much prefer the much better ballistic co-efficient of the 40gr V-Max, over the slight velocity advantage of the 35gr. I can easily get 3100fps with the 40gr.. more, if I don't mind decreased case life. My favorite load, however, pushes a 40 gr bullet at about 2850-2900 fps. It's very pleasant to shoot, devastating on all small game (haven't connected with a coyote yet), and only uses about 12gr of powder....
Accuracy is very consistently 3/4" to 1 1/4".... even better if I really settle down and sqeeze, off sandbags.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have two .22 Hornets and find them to be useful for most any varmint I want to shoot out to 175 or so yards. It is the rifle I choose for called in coyotes and it works just fine for that. I also have a .223 Rem. and a .223 WSSM but for all around fun and usefulness I grab one of the Hornets. My opinion, KEEP THE .22 HORNET. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAWDOG
out last night with the 22R/F and the hornet with a mate first for fox then for bunnies no fox around so went after the bunns with the R/F (452 SIL) hit 10 picked up 8 for the pot then had a mad 1/2 hour with the hornet getting another 7-8 at 80--120 yrds. non were fit for the pot as you would expect from connecting with 35g Vmax and 45g hp. these were hung on the fence for the fox,s and for the farmer to see,come early summer think i will use the H to pick off the bunns in the sun and not do a lot of walking will defo keep the hornet(cz) it must be a cheaper way of having fun than the 223 !!!

Posts: 69 | Location: great britain | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Here is the way I try to alwats evaluate two choices . . .
You can always load the 223 down to perform "like" a Hornet, but it is DANG HARD to load a Hornet up to perform like a 223.

True.. But, if you like the Hornet, just get the .223 and keep them both....