New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWYD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a favorite rifle, near and dear for sentimental reasons. Nothing special to you guys, just to me. It's an 800 Mossberg in .22-250 that was purchased brand new by my best friend back in 73. It's a bull bbl and deadly accurate. (I had a guy who can really shoot try it out.) I had the barrel fluted and the bolt jewelled by John Farner. He reblued it as well. Damn nice work, too. I'm still planning and looking for just the right custom stock to finish the deal. I'm at an age where I have in the back of my head that I need to decide the fate of this thing after me. I have 4 sons, any of whom will want it because it was mine. But not one of them is a serious shooter that could care much to get it out more than once or twice a year. To them, a Marlin model 60 would fill the bill if they thought it was my favorite. I'm considering finding a kid who might understand and literally pee his pants at this one-off piece. I really just don't see that kid in the pool of relatives. Any thoughts on how to conduct such a search with a chance of a good outcome?

Posts: 16144 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Know any young soldiers or marines?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really. Got a couple Army regs in the family, but they aren't the best of character. That is a good avenue of thought for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the guy who posts as "Spring" just did something similar for a young bunch of MARINES. You might want to PM him and see if I at least got the right person.

Sounds like a fine rifle. One of my old MARINE buddies has an older Mossberg 2LR which he may have burried with him.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure to be involved with Spring in getting the Marine's rifle replaced. It had been stolen. Several members of this board assisted in donating items or money. It was money well spent.
It sounds to me like your heart is in the right place. You will know the identity of who should receive it when that times comes. Good luck and thanks for being thoughtful.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am lucky having folks in the family to give my guns to. I have already given away several. It's been a pleasure to see one I don't use anymore being placed into action. My dad's 30-06 a Rem 721 was one. I gave it to one of my sons in law. When I was about 12 or so I made my dad a hand-tooled leather sling with his name on it. Well almost. His name was Howard and I screwed up and left the R off. My son in law calls the rifle Howad and he and Howad are legends now when he tells his stories. He has taken elk, antelope and mule deer with Ole Howad. Sure beats me not using it as I have another 30-06 I use. I also gave my grandson a Win 88 in .308. It has been magic for him. He has taken axis deer, bobcat, a bunch of whitetails with it. I did give one away that didnt work out. An ex son in law was going to take up hunting. That didnt happen and he doesnt shoot it. I regret giving it to him---not because he is ex--because he wont use it.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got any Grandkids? I'd save it for the one that shows the most intrest in shooting with Gramps. Nothing wrong with bypassing the first generation for the second.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How old are your kids?
There may still be time to get them involved in shooting and develop a love for it. I don't believe in letting kids decide a whole lot on their own - they don't have any experience. If they are young enough, I'd sign them up for a 4-H shooting program and force them to come with me when I go hunting or shooting.

Kids don't know sh!t from shinola and will always choose to stay home and sit in front of the TV or X Box. You have got to make them try new things and make them stick with it long enough to have an informed opinion.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1

That story about your dad's Rem 721 brought back memories for me of the time when I had a 721 in a .270. It was the first center-fire rifle that I had and we bought it from a neighbor who was a gunsmith and we got it new from Remington for $88. I had done my homework reading Jack O'Connor and was certain that the 270 was for me and my dad went along with it. He had a Model 70 Pre 64 in a 30-06 but let me go my way with the 270. My older brother who was back east going to college sent me $10 to help with the financing and I never forgot that act of kindness and today I love him like a brother!!!. It got traded off along the way and I don't recall what it got traded for now.

I have four sons who all are involved in shooting, hunting, fishing and the outdoors in some way or another so I have targets for my gun inventory when that time comes. I have three grandsons but a daughter-in-law who is afraid of guns so there is still some work to do there.

Thanks for the mention of the 721 as it brought back many pleasant memories of hunting and planning those hunts with my dad.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You may check with the director of any local/area shooting clubs. Chances are, he or she will know of a kid would would greatly appreciate such a gesture.

Another forum member -- Mike Dettorre -- recently bought a shotgun I was selling and asked that I give it to a deserving local kid, and I hope to make that delivery later this week.

Such gestures truly come from the heart, and I commend those of you who do such wonderful deeds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm likely to ponder this one for awhile. I do have a couple of grandsons, but years away from any judgements on how they'll be. I actually have lot of gun owners in the family, but no real serious types, mostly collectors of regular stuff. 1100 Remingtons, 22 rimfire types. I'm thinking Tomek has the best idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
You may check with the director of any local/area shooting clubs. Chances are, he or she will know of a kid would would greatly appreciate such a gesture.

Another forum member -- Mike Dettorre -- recently bought a shotgun I was selling and asked that I give it to a deserving local kid, and I hope to make that delivery later this week.

Such gestures truly come from the heart, and I commend those of you who do such wonderful deeds.

Bobby,

Big Kudos to Mike D!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to see if your local 4H has a shooting sports club. t
They may be helpful.
What a great idea you have. You have planted some seeds in my mind. Neither of my children seem to have any interest in fire arms.
Hmmmm.....

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Another good home for it may be the "make a wish foundation". Some kids young and old never have had the chance to shoot and I understand there has been more than one request. Just a thought..

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote