New
Find
Notify
Tools

50Gr TNT and the 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering developing a load using this bullet in my 22-250, expressly for Coyotes.
From what I hear, they are more fragile then the polymer tipped bullets, that most people
seem to shoot. Has anyone had any experiance with these bullets? They are super cheep,
how is the accuracy, terminal performance? How about any pet loads?

Thanks for any imput.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
The TNT is a nice bullet but it can't handle the velocity of a 22-250, it was a great one in a 223 that I used to own. They were (are still?) packaged with a velocity warning slip 'IN' the box. They were very accurate in that 223 ~ .3 moa, an old NEF that I sold to get a friend to get him started.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with Cobra.

I got satisfactory accuracy in my old .22-250 with these bullets, but on a hot day (i.e. when velocities were up a bit compared to the temps I worked the load up at), I get about 1 of 10 bullets flying to pieces within 50 yards of the muzzle.

Save this bullet for your .222 or .223 and try another bullet for full speed loads.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 50 grain SPSX has a speed warning in the box also but I have shot these at 3850 for at least 1500 rounds and never lost one. This is the most explosive bullet I have ever used. They are for small critters as I have shot a bunch of raccoons with them and they won't exit. Now on small things like digger squirrels and probably prairie poodles they will stretch them inside out. Crows come completely apart.

My load is Remington brass with 42 grains of H-380 over cci-250 primers topped with the 50 grain Hornady spsx. It chronographs at 3850 in my 24� Ruger Varminter. � inch groups are the norm. Start out at 38 grains and work your way up.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Interesting that somebody has been able to shoot these bullets so far beyond their design specifications.

I've often wondered if a good smooth barrel might be kinder to these thin-jacketed bullets. Towards the end of its life, the barrel of my .22-250 was rough as can be (and this was when I tried the TNT, Blitz and SX bullets from Speer, Sierra and Hornady).

Interesting!

jpb

[ 01-30-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote