Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Mark X Action
 Login/Join

<David Wile>
posted
Hey folks,

I have a Mauser type bolt action rifle that was made with a Mark X action made by the Zastava company in Yugoslavia and imported by Interarms in Alexandria, VA. Around 1969, my father and I both ordered these actions with Douglas premium heavy barrels, mine in 30-06 and my dad's in a 257 Roberts. We made beavertail stocks with free floating barrels. They are both very good at making small groups at 100 yards - far better than I am any more.

When we bought these actions, they were fairly inexpensive, and I seem to remember that they were supposed to be a pretty good action with a pretty good trigger at the time. I do not know what kind of trigger they have, but they have no creep at all and do have a very smooth pull.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these actions and their triggers and if they are made today.

Thanks much,
Dave Wile

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The actions haven't been imported since the war broke out in Yugoslavia. It was a basic commercial 98 action. Some complained about the sweep of the bolt handle and others said that it was over polished. Personally I liked it. Couldn't beat it for the money. I built over 50 rifles on this action or barreled action over the years. I was always impressed with the finish and accuracy on a barrelled action that I bought for $129. I'm down to the last one I had hidden away. The trigger was ok it was adjustable for creep, overtravel and pull. The only complaint I had against it was the trigger block safety was a screw that you had to adjust after you adjusted the trigger. I would often replace the trigger. I've heard and got verification from KBI that they have a contract and will be inporting the action, barrelled action and rifle under the Charles Daily name this fall. Retail for the rifle, $350-500 depending on finish and stock.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't add much to ramrod's comments, except that they also produced a "Mini Mark X" for .223-length cartridges.

I had one for a while and liked it, but the striker spring was apparently weak and failed to ignite the primer too frequently. Otherwise, it was neat little gun, very reminiscent of a Sako L461, but in a true Mauser configuration.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .30-06 that I bought as a knock-around gun--I like it a lot and am eagerly awaiting the new KBI/Charles Daly series.

According to the fellow who told me these were coming in, they will have them in stainless. Put me down for a stainless .338 and a blued .375 ...

My only complaints are that the throat is extremely long, which seems to require non-standard loading techniques (see the "Deep Throat" thread for an account of my trials and tribulations) and that the ejection is a little weak. It also fouls fairly badly but that may be due to abuse by a previous owner.

I saw one in 7x57 at a gun show this past weekend which appeared to be in excellent shape for about $375. I think it was newer, as it had a nice satin-finish stock instead of the blonde poly finish on mine.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a mark X with in 06 with a douglas air gage vermit weight. That I have no trouble keeping sub min. groups with. Great fun hitting beer cans at 400 yds.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well got lucky at the gun show saturday. Found a Mark X barreled action in a custom (plain grain) stock with a 3x9 redfield widefield in 25-06. The rifle hadn't been used enough to wear the blue on the guide rails. Picked it up for $340 went to the range yesterday and it shot .75 moa groups with Winchester combined tech. Now to do something about that plain stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod. .75 inch with factory ammo? Remember Murphy's second law. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." FWIW, I have ownedseveral Mark X's and I've never had an inaccurate one.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Paul B.
I bought some Winchester Balistic Silver tips last year to try out the the Dakota Model 10 I had just purchased. Wanted to try it and didn't load for the 25-06. The Dakota would shoot the 87 and 115 at .75 and .875 moa. Now this Mark X shoots the 115 to .75. I still haven't bought dies and have no plans to do so. Like you I have never found a Mark X not to shoot. Due to the long throat on some you might have to load single shot but they would shoot somewhere. I built 4 or 5 270s and they all shot the same load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of their claims to fame was they all had good barrels and most all of them shot well. they were a good utility gun from the get go...the factory burned down a few years ago and they were out of business until very recently...Pretty soon you will see the MK-10's and the mini-mausers back on the market.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote