New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 A-Bolt problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got my dads NIB 257 robberts A-Bolt 1 make in 1986. I took it to the range and used various types of 117Gr factory ammo. The Rifle barrels gets extremely hot after i fire 3-5 rounds, so hot i cant touch it. What can be the problem causing this?

Posts: 68 | Location: Canyon Country CA | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam ,
That's what happens with centrefire rifles . More powder equals more heat . Slim barrels heat up very quickly .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told at the range, by some gunsmiths that it has copper in the flutes.....and i just figure it was because it was an ultra light weight barrel.

Posts: 68 | Location: Canyon Country CA | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I sure would not use the "gunsmiths" making the copper comment.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam, I have a Roberts in an older Ruger m77 that has a very thin barrel. It does heat up quickly and although it's able to be used for varminting as well as deer, I'd limit my shooting to a few at a time. I let mine cool off between groups.

The "Gunsmiths" comments are pretty questionable.

I live over the hills from you, if need be we could maybe get together sometime and I could look at it with you. You may also look up rick0311 here on the boards. He's in Velencia and may be more available to you. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote