THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington 700 XCR Tactical vs. Cooper The Phoenix?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 XCR Tactical vs. Cooper The Phoenix?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a previous post, I asked about a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical rifle in 243 for my son's college graduation. I've been having some 2nd thoughts about the 243 since my son mainly chases coyotes. Now looking at a 223 as a better fit for his predator hunting. I want something that has good accuracy out of the box, quality trigger/action/barrel/stock, and would serve as a good foundation for a future 223AI custom build.

Both the Remington 700 XCR Tactical and Cooper The Phonix seem like good candidates. What say ye? Pro & cons?

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the cooper right now I'm looking at doing the same only in 6.5x284. I have a kimber that with all the reloading and time to get to shoot I should have just got a cooper. I also have an TC icon in 243 and that thing will shoot any thing you put in it under an inch from 70-105 grain bullets.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last year I have shot 2 rem out of the box. With Mk262 ammo they both shot under 1/2moa out to 300 yards. Triggers broke at about 3.5 pounds, pretty crisp. Cost was 595.00. the stocks are shit but for a soon to be custom they'll do for now.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington did not donate to obama's campaign. I know Dan supposedly sold out and it not involved in the operation anymore. Guess who is carrying the note, and at interest. So buying a new Cooper still puts $$$ in his pocket each month.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be for the Cooper. Never had to tweak any I've owned. Just add rings and a scope and shoot. There is also a world of difference in how a Cooper feels when you work the bolt compared to a Remington. They are a quality rifle and you can feel it every time you use it.
When I had an issue with a new LVT Cooper footed the bill for shipping BOTH ways and had it returned to me with 14 days of when I shipped it to them.
Can't say enough good things about the company.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Remington as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Muddy the Waters:

A CZ 527 Full Stock in .204 Ruger OR

at the upper end: a good wind bucking:

CZ 550 Full Stock (a real classic) in 6.5x55

The Full Stocks will be things of the past, so it will be like buying a real custom for non-custom $$; the wood on the FS seems to be a grade or two above the standards for not much more...

Work the bolts on either of these Mausers and tell me they don't do it for you...

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Cooper and be done with it. There will be no need to rebuild as it will easily shoot the guaranteed 1/2" and with load development may well exceed that. Mine do. The remmy may shoot this well, but, in my experience, probably not. And forget all that political crap, just buy the rifle. You won't regret it.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote