New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Rem. vs. 257 Rob
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I would be very interested in knowing how this works out for you. Please keep us posted. BTW what was the starting caliber of the Marlin?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6mm will beat a .243 by 200 fps with 100 grain bullets. It takes quite a bit to get the .243 past 3000fps. With RL22, the 6mm can hit 3200 fps as per the reloading manual. I have mine loaded to just over 3000, but had no pressure issues at 3200. Mine is the standard Rem 600 ADL w/22 inch barrel.

If you are getting explosive impact, then you have bullet issues-not caliber issues. Use a tougher bullet if it is exploding. I have had nothing but good results on deer and antelope with 100 grain Hornady Spire Points.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To give you a little background, I make custom rifle stocks. I have built for my own use on a pre '64 actions both a 6mm and a .257 Roberts.
the Roberts is set up for rounds with an overall length of 3.05 inches. My preference for deer hunting is the Roberts with 110 Nosler Accubond or 115 Nosler Partitions load in a Winchester case, Rem 9 1/2 primer and either Reloader 19 or Norma 204 powders.
If using the 6mm Remington (it shoots mostly 80gr Rem Powerlokt bullets) I would use Winchester case, Rem 9 1/2, H4831 powder, and a 95 gr Nosler Partition.
I hope this helps and also that you have aMerry Christmas

Tom Gandy
A&T Rifle Co.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Seafire, I would be very interested in knowing how this works out for you. Please keep us posted. BTW what was the starting caliber of the Marlin?
Peter.

Picked it up last night for 257 bucks...

it is chambered in 270 right now..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Hey Seafire,

When you get that Marlin apart, I'd be curious to know if it would fit, or come close to fit in a Savage stock? I haven't laid eyes on one, but I was wondering what else they may have "borrowed" from Savage (other than the barrel nut/recoil lug, and trigger?).

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The XL7 is almost a drop-in to the Win. M70 LA stock. But needs lots of epoxy to fill the flat bottom inletting. Not even close to a Savage LA.

http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...p/topic,53107.0.html

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bcp's link to a model 70s stock fitting close to a marlin was interesting..

what I did do last night was compare the Marlin's stock last night to a short action stock from an ADL.. you can tell the stocks are made from the same company...

I have to go get a Model 700 stock out of storage right now..to see if the Marlin will fit in a model 700 ADL long action stock..

while I am at it, I'll take one apart and see if it will fit into a model 70 stock also..

if it fits into one or the other ,that opens a disneyland of possibilities...

after picking up the Marlin and then looking a little closer at a Model 200 Stevens, for some one planning to do some switch barrel work.. I'd pick up the Stevens next time around...
Reasons are..
the Marlin's trigger is not as good as my accu trigger on my Savages.. and the Stevens trigger can be made to shoot lighter..

the Stevens can also have the bolt head easily changed to fit a 223 or 308 bolt face..

the Stevens can also have a larger bolt handle easily installed on it..

The Sportsman's Whorehouse had the Stevens and the Marlin, where I could compare them side by side...I'd tend to lean toward the Stevens..

but the Marlin still is a good buy.. now I just have to find time to load up some ammo and take it to the range and see what it will do..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote