THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22-250 shoots well at 100 yds but not at 200 yds?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 shoots well at 100 yds but not at 200 yds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have a friend who shoots (and reloads for) a Savage .22-250. He is getting sub MOA groups at 100 yds but the groups open up to 5" and more at 200 yds. I believe he is using Reloader 10x and Hornady V-maxs in 35 and 40 grain. I don't have a .22-250 but I'm thinking the bullets are too light and are beginning to loose stability beyond 100 yards. Has anyone had this problem and what was your solution?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the bullets may be fragmenting or losing the jacket. What velocity is he piping them at? Try backing off the velocity 200 fps oe so and see if the problem goes away.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a prime example of why you should test loads at the distance you intend to shoot them. Many loads look good at shorter ranges only to fall apart at distance. Causes may be many. The only way to sort it out is to start over developing the load at the distance you intend to use them.
Don't forget to check bedding and the scope. Little problems get magnified at distance.
good luck

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this quite often in the 22-250. It is one of the pickiest loads I have ever fooled with. I'm not sure if it's because of the speed this rascal can generate or the fact that there is quite a range of bullet weights, and getting the twist rate, speed and bullet weight all together, is a bit of a pain I guess.
The biggest thing I have had success in curing the situation you describe is going to a little heavier bullet. The other thing I have seen, is that a little change in seating depth can have a big impact, unfortunately there is much room to tinker with seating depth on the lighter pills.

Good Luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
I have a friend who shoots (and reloads for) a Savage .22-250. He is getting sub MOA groups at 100 yds but the groups open up to 5" and more at 200 yds. I believe he is using Reloader 10x and Hornady V-maxs in 35 and 40 grain. I don't have a .22-250 but I'm thinking the bullets are too light and are beginning to loose stability beyond 100 yards. Has anyone had this problem and what was your solution?

Perhaps he should try some 50or 55-grain bullets......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavier bullets. What is the twist of his rifle?
Savage is putting out some rifles now with really tight twist. Like 1/8 and 1/9 which would require an even heavier than standard bullet for good accuracy.
If he has a standard 1/12 or 1/14 twist, he should get his best accuracy with 50-55gr bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A heavier bullet would help. The BC on those little guys is nothing. The slightest wind can blow them at distance or when velocity starts to drop. I too am a believer in shooting at the intended distanceof your target.
Something new to me was to use OCW (optimal charge weight) to work up my loads. I feel this has been the single bigest and cheapest refinement to my reloading. search Dan Newberry and give it a try.