THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .22 WMR: Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 WMR: Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
The decision is taken, I need a rimfire .22. But shall I buy a Remigton or a Ruger? I would appreciate - very much - any comments on this topic.

Regards,
/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is what I know. The 10/22 has one of the worst triggers out there (8 lbs) - I just bought a new one based on a special run of 10/22's by Ruger = brown laminated carbine stock and blued - nice looking - however for $30 or so you can add a Volquersten aftermarket hammer and asorted springs (kit) that will drop the trigger pull to 2 1/2 lbs. In checking out some info for 22 mag ammo - I have a Win 9422 mag - one respondent mentioned that he was getting 1/2"/100 yd groups using Remington Premier 30 gr V-max ammo out of his 10/22 - fast but pricey stuff = $11.99 - others seem to like the CCI 30 gr + V stuff. I assume that this hammer kit mod would also fit in the magnum version. The Remington I know nothing about.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience witht the Ruger but I do have a 597 LS. It will shoot under MOA with ammunition it likes. Which for mine is CCI-Maxi Mag +V Or TNT's. The PMC Predators come in at around MOA. I replaced the stock hammer with a Volquartsen model for under $40.00. This brought the trigger pull down under 3#. The rifle is large enough to feel full size and not like a child's rifle. Mine has the laminated stock which I really like compared to the one with a synthetic stock I shot once. There are several things you need to pay attention to with this rifle. Action screw tension is of paramount importantance. After I take mine out of the stock for any reason I set up a target at 25 yds and fire 3 shot groups as I tighten the action screws down. The front screw being tighter than the rear. When I get one ragged hole I stop. Also if you remove the bolt guide rods & springs when you tighten the setscrews on the rods tighten them just until they deflect the rod and then back them off until the rod is straight. If too tight you will have cycling problems.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
I suggest the Rem 597. I have three and am well satisfied. The Rem design is inherently superior to the Ruger in that the Rem bolt rides on two hardened steel rods, whereas the Ruger bolt rides on aluminum surfaces within its aluminum housing. The Rem barrel is also unrestrained in the forearm, where as the Ruger barrel is kept with a steel ring [call it what you will] near the end of the forestock. The Ruger rotary magazine is superior to the Rem design. Two companies make aftermarket sears for the Rem, easily reducing trigger pull to an appropriate level and aftermarket tubes from Volquartsen and others are also readily available.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the Ruger 10/22 Magnum have a steel receiver?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 10/22 is known as one of the most reliable guns made.My own 10/22 has a heavy target barrel and replacement hammer and trigger spring and will easily shoot five shot 1/2" groups at 50 yards.Most of my friends also have 10/22's and they are very durable and trouble free.All of the 10/22's that I have used are standard .22 rimfires and I have not used the magnum version.

[ 03-23-2003, 07:20: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
The 10/22 is a good action. I've shot 1100 rounds before cleaning the action without one jam or miss fire. To me, that says a lot about a semi-auto's action. The trigger is the shits but is easily fixable.

It seems the 597 has lots of little probalems that Remington still and is currently trying to fix. The 597 is much cheaper in price, at least around these parts.

<Jordan>
posted
I thought the Ruger had an alloy [aluminum] receiver but I could be wrong.

Jordan

posted Hide Post
The 10/22 LR has an aluminum receiver. The 10/22 magnum has a steel receiver to handle the increased recoil.

-Ryan-

Posts: 2 | Location: Southeast Nebraska | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
The 10/22 mag. has a steel reciver,and comes with a set of "ruger style" rings.At least mine did,shoots 1 1/2"-2" groups @100 yds.The 10/22lr has a aluminum alloy reciver,and a 3/8" groove plate for scope mounting.Spent about an hour on each one with a india stone and smoothed up the triggers,got them to a tolerable pull weight.Ruger seems to have some concerns with keeping the mag. version clean,The manual states to strip and clean after every 50 rounds.As far as the barrel band thing is concerned,Imho,if it's stocked good,and the barrel is only touching it around that band area,and you have the wood sealed up good,inside and out,you should'nt have much of a problem.Unless you like to shoot the thing non-stop 'till the oil on the barrel is starting to smoke,and if thats the case,you're not really looking for pinpoint accuracy anyway.If you want to dispute the fact,take a hard look at the garands,m-14's,k-98's,smle's,etc,first.Have Fun Guys!

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums Ryan!

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote