THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester 70 pre64/classic in 223 remington?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 pre64/classic in 223 remington?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any such rifle been built? I've been checking gunbroker and other sites off and on for a while now, looking for a CRF Winchester 70 in 223 remington. All I'm able to find is 223 WSSM. I would be using it for a 223ai project that I have in mind, if I could find 2 of them I may even use one for a 300 whisper, but finding such a rifle has been a challenge.

Posts: 71 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

I have a pre 64 with a Douglas barrel that I would sell. It is 1:8 twist. It is built from a 22 Hornet bolt.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it that this configuration is Hotsh$t's go to whitetail rifle.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I don't remember Winchester making "Classic", as such, anythings pre-64. They were all classics. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester made darn few 222 or 223 Rem. They were all push feed.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
There were a very few Classics in 223 Rem made early on in the production. I dont know the years but it was sometime in the first 5 years or so if I remember correct. I had one in hand years ago, seen one at a collectors table at a show, and heard of a couple others being out there. I have not seen or heard of one in several years.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall the 223 in the Classic was push feed.

I have only seen a handful of factory Winchester 70's in 222 Rem or 223 Rem in my life.

I have seen more Win 70 223 WSM and WSSM on one rack in one gunshop than all the 222 or 223 Rem Model 70's in 30 years in shops or gunshows or ranges!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of a factory M70 .223 CRF. I've a very sweet M70 XTR I picked up in the mid '80s.
It is a push feed.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
As I recall the 223 in the Classic was push feed.

I have only seen a handful of factory Winchester 70's in 222 Rem or 223 Rem in my life.

I have seen more Win 70 223 WSM and WSSM on one rack in one gunshop than all the 222 or 223 Rem Model 70's in 30 years in shops or gunshows or ranges!

Winchester offered the 223 Rem push feed in several configurations. I have a Heavy Varmint and a Featherweight in push feed and love them. I have seen teh 223 Rem in a few different varmint configurations as well as some standard weight contours.

But the few Classics they offered were true controlled round feed. There were only a few of these made as I mentioned above. To my knowledge all of the "Classic" model 70's were CRF. The Classic in 223 Rem I had in my hand was a beautiful rifle that I had a hard time passing back to the owner!!!!

I think the reason you dont see many 223 Rem M70's out there is that the owners love them and not very willing to part with them.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bryan, This is not intended as a Wham on you.

The current M70 being built by FN is at least 10x better than the Pre-64 M70s. If you are determined to go with a Pre-64, it "might" take a good bit of $$$money$$$ to get it shooting even close to the accuracy of the current product.

Best of luck to you, which ever rifle you end up getting. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not fishing for offers as I have three firm commits to buy if the first falls through, but I have my CRF 223 Rem pre 64 conversion on the Classifieds. There are some good pics. They won't be there forever so take a peak while they are up if you like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

The current M70 being built by FN is at least 10x better than the Pre-64 M70s. If you are determined to go with a Pre-64, it "might" take a good bit of $$$money$$$ to get it shooting even close to the accuracy of the current product.

Agreed. I have owned both and would not buy a pre-64 anything for what I can get the new one for. The new M70 is a generation ahead of its famous 46 year old cousin.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just looked at their website and the TSR is a CRF rifle with only one exception, the 223 remington. I will probably end up going with a remington or custom action since they are readily available and the parts are as well. I wanted to build something unique, but with the apparant rarity of the 223 pre64 I wouldn't chop one up for a project build. I mean, I like beer and I like ice cream, but I don't have to have them both at the same time.......if you get my drift. This is going to be a "tactical" style rifle, I plan on shooting at the 600 yard range with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hot Core

The pre 64/Classic ("Classic" being the name given to the modern made pre 64 type of action)is a modern made rifle on new CNC machinery and every bit as good as the Current FN made on. If the one FN I've seen is representative then the pre 64/Classic ( I have 3) is better made. Alas as I stated previously the .223 only came in the push feed though.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan27:
...I will probably end up going with a remington or custom action since they are readily available and the parts are as well. ...
Hey Bryan, Using the excellent Remington action is a great platform. If you plan to buy a new one, getting a 223Rem to start with might just surprise you on just how well they shoot.

Just had an old MARINE CORPS buddy visit a week ago and he swapped into a Remington BDL 30-06 with a Synthetic Stock, fully Parkerized and with the new R3 Recoil Pad. Mounted a 4-12x40(?) Vortex Scope with an Illuminated small center Dot. It was shooting cloverleafs in just a few shots using Federal factory ammo.

So, if you do get a Remington, don't be surprised if you become "reluctant" to change anything on it. tu2

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected; I've been informed by a reliable source that Winchester did make a few of the CRF Classics in .223 Remington. There were numerous NMC shooters who were interested in that action for a match rifle back when the .223 began catching on as a match cartridge. That was before the "space gun" technology developed. I had made an inquiry to Winchester and was told they did not make the CRF Classic in .223 Rem but made it in .223 WSM. Apparently they changed their mind for a very small run.

Larry Gibson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...I will probably end up going with a remington or custom action since they are readily available and the parts are as well. ...
Hey Bryan, Using the excellent Remington action is a great platform. If you plan to buy a new one, getting a 223Rem to start with might just surprise you on just how well they shoot.

Just had an old MARINE CORPS buddy visit a week ago and he swapped into a Remington BDL 30-06 with a Synthetic Stock, fully Parkerized and with the new R3 Recoil Pad. Mounted a 4-12x40(?) Vortex Scope with an Illuminated small center Dot. It was shooting cloverleafs in just a few shots using Federal factory ammo.

So, if you do get a Remington, don't be surprised if you become "reluctant" to change anything on it. tu2

Best of luck to you.

Thanks. When I run the numbers, my best bet is probably going to end up buying a custom action to build off of unless I can find a smoking deal on a used rifle. The smith I'm considering using won't barrel an action without truing it first, unless it's one of the custom actions that he has some faith in already being true. Can't blame him, his name and reputation follows his work. I figure it'd be a wash, money out of pocket-wise if I spend the extra on a stiller or surgeon action compared with having the action trued. The resale value is better on a custom than on a blueprinted factory action too, not that I've ever sold a gun, but it's nice to know they hold their value. Plus there are more options with the custom remington knockoffs like side bolt release, more ergonomic bolt handles and tapped for the larger scope mounting screws all standard with the actions that would cost more money to have done to a factory remington.

As you said, if I bought a reminton I might not change a thing after shooting it. You're probably right! That'd be a problem as I'd end up spending even MORE money buying another action to build off of.

Bryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... if I bought a reminton I might not change a thing after shooting it. You're probably right! That'd be a problem as I'd end up spending even MORE money buying another action to build off of. Bryan
Hey Bryan, I understand. Seems like you have it well thought out. No problem with going to what is thought to be the best, when a person has the money. Always allows for some lively discussions when you uncase it.

Best of luck with the new Custom Rifle. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the "Blue Book", the CRF Classic action was available in .223 Rem in the Classic Featherweight and the Classic Stainless in 1994 only. I seem to remember these, and wish I had the foresight to grab one!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
According to the "Blue Book", the CRF Classic action was available in .223 Rem in the Classic Featherweight and the Classic Stainless in 1994 only. I seem to remember these, and wish I had the foresight to grab one!

I have one of those...beautiful shape and bought for $350.00 at a local gun show.. guy who owned it said he was selling it because he never used it..

it is a very accurate little bugger to boot... and purdy!

and NO, it is not for sale...ever..

passing it on to Seafire Jr, who better appreciate it as much as Dad does..

its taken a couple of blacktail also... with a 70 grain Speer SMP at 2900 fps..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote