New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper 17 Centerfire Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've an opportunity to pick up a Cooper 17 centerfire magnum along with dies and brass. I've a number of other 17's from the ackley hornet through the 17 rem, but not the ccm.
Any one have experience with this 17? If so, your observations and opinions please.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pain in the ass, stick to a 17 squirrel or 17 mink, you'll have more fun, cheaper on brass too.

quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I've an opportunity to pick up a Cooper 17 centerfire magnum along with dies and brass. I've a number of other 17's from the ackley hornet through the 17 rem, but not the ccm.
Any one have experience with this 17? If so, your observations and opinions please.
GWB

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll find good info on saubier.com too, i bought one from cabelas 3 years ago and was not pleased.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eurocentric,

I spoke with Todd Kindler earlier in the week. I was ordering 20 vartarg dies and some 17 fireball brass. I've a hebee that I'm probably going to have him form some brass for. He was also pretty negative on the CCM. I take it from your post you have either had personal experience or friends that owned this cartridge. Would you care to elaborate?
Thanks
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, my last post was before your second post.
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Designed by dan cooper. Probably enough said. After all, this is the same dan cooper who supported the illegitamate, current president of the usa. All lower case because he doesn't even deserve the trouble of hitting the "shift" key to capitalize the title!!! And dan cooper was another one of the "blind with money"!! GHD PS: Stick with the Fireball or the MachIV. If it's .172 those will suffice!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,

Sir, I've owned 17 hmr, currently own and load for 17 ackley hornet, 17 hebee, 17 mach iv (2) 17 fireball, and 17 remington(2).
I didn't ask for your opinion of dan cooper or his rifles (I own 8 coopers, all bought used, from U.S. citizens, who happened to be gun owners). I am deciding whether to spend a grand on a 17 that I don't currently own or load for.
I spoke with a fellow in whom I set a great deal of store by, his opinion, earlier this week. He's probably forgotten more about the 17's than most folks will ever know. It was his opinion, which concurred with Eurocentric's, to stay away from the 17CCM.
Have you ever owned and loaded for the 17 CCM, if not, you have nothing to say that I want to hear on this topic.
Respectfully,
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
"scuse me for pissing in your cornflakes"! Just my opinion and just like everyone(except for the folks who have colon problems and don't use them anymore) I have one! Buy the rifle, load it up using 2000 different load developement loadings and HAVE FUN with it!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,
If this was the political forum I'd be happy to entertain your "opinion" of Dan Cooper. PM me if you like and we can discuss it there. However this is the small caliber forum. I was asking if anyone with "experience" with this particular 17 cal chambering would relay their experience with the cartridge.
For example, on the 17 ackley hornet and the 17 hebee, the brass "work hardens and the necks, being very thin, split very easy. Consequently annealing helps. Also, unless you chamfer the inside of the case on these two chamberings its very easy to crush the case as most 18,19 and 20 gr bullets are flat base rather than boat tails. I was hoping someone could or would provide specifics as to their experience with brass life, reloadability and accuracy of their CCM.
once again, "respectfully"
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i came close to buying one a bit back, but i couldn't find much good info on the round, and what i did find was all pretty negative

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes reloading for it was a mess turns out the quite a few rifles didnt match the specs or the dies made for it, mine was one of those, jamming was another issue and the brass was the most difficult thing to deal with. If your into tiny look at the 17 squirrel or 17 mink, a joy to shoot and experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I'm off for a weekend of varmint calling and hog hunting/snaring. I've 'bout made up my mind to pass on the deal.
Best,
GWB

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've made up my mind, my next varmint rifle.. I am going to upscale for once..

it will be a Cooper Varminter, with a Bushnell 65-00 Elite on top, in 4.5 x 30 with a mil dot reticle..

chambering is going to be in 6 BR...

gotta admit, not wasting time on some exotic small bore wildcat tho....

if you read this when you get back there GW, hope you had some good times out varminting..

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote