THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .260 Performance on Pronghorn-Graphic Pix

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Performance on Pronghorn-Graphic Pix
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bullet used was a 100 gr. Hornady SP. My daughter hit him slightly quartering toward her. Buck took a couple of steps and fell over. She was using her Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

Entry

Exit

Happy Huntress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice hunt and beautiful antelope. What state, etc. did you get the antelope? did she use handloads or factory ammo?

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunt was in NM last month.

She used the loads I made for her. That was a 100 gr. Hornady SP. The powder was RL-15. This was a pretty accurate combo compared to some of the other loads I tested.

This was her first pronghorn. Once hers was down, I could get busy and take mine.

Mine was a tad over 200 yds and taken with a 25-06 and 110 grain Accubonds.

I would have no problem taking the .260 Remington with the 100 gr. SP hunting for mulies next month. That MR is a pleasure to carry all day. With this load, recoil is nothing to speak of.

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both! Nice prairie goats. Even better is the "huntress" your raising. Tell her that 6.5s rule. My hat's off to you!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Last year she used the .260 to take a nice mule deer. She used the 120 TSX on that hunt. I switched to the 100 gr. HSP figuring she did not need a premium bullet for pronghorn. The Hornadys grouped well and were not expensive.

Funny thing is she said the gun was loud when she shot the pronghorn this year. But last year when she used the TSX, did not mention the noise. The .260 is very underrated and poorly marketed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos and congradulations to your daughter. I believe your right about the 260. As with a number of other cartridges, it seems like the,,,,,,,,better starter cartridges get dumoed all to often. Thinking of the 250-3000 and the 257 Roberts.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! my little girl just turned 9 and we have already started with a 243 and blue dot. her groups get smaller every time we shoot. by the time shes old enough to hunt, she will be a better shot than me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautifull lopes, great shooting congrats all around, I have a .243 that may well become a 260 in the next year or two.
As for training kids, young, My 1st grand babye is on the way, a boy !
Can't buy him a ball glve till I know weather he is left or right handed, but a little youth model 22 will be his before he starts kindergarden.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IMr 4064 instead of RL 15, when I do the 100 grain loads in my 260s....

However, it seems the results are consistant with yours and your daughters... downed game, instantly... even at longer distances...

And Congrats to your both? Who is prouder?

Daughter for getting the antelope or dad proud of daughter getting the antelope???

( Probably Dad is the prouder!) thumb

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Way to go! (and nice goats too!)

It's great to see a father/daughter hunting team that shares times like this together. Ithink you're doing the right thing bringing her up like this.
Please offer her my congratulations! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nice goats & good shooting. I havea .260ai & the more i shoot it the mpre I want to hunt w/ it. The .260/.260ai is a great little caliber. I would recommend it over the .243 for a young or recoil shy hunter.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congraduations on the antelopes. I was wondering if your daughter thought the antelope load was louder because maybe the velocity was higher and the bullet and gases splitting the air in front of the muzzle makes for more of a louder crack? In my opinion the 6.5 Swede has a pretty loud crack considering it's small bore. Another one that hurts our ears is the 17 Remington, again another very high velocity round. Some handgun rounds that crack your eardrums are the 7.62z25 Tokarev, the 30 Luger, and the 30 Carbien when fired from say a Ruger revolver. All these too are high velocity for small bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking about the lighter bullet/higher velocity.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.
By the way, one of my grandson's said to tell her he thinks she's cute. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll pass the message on. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all!!! Very nice goats....jealous here.

I loaded up some 100g BT using 24.0g of SR-4759 for my daughter to use on whitetail this year (in my 260 AI). I shot them the other day and they were very accurate, landed 1" below my deer hunting load, and the velocity was 2,475 fps. They landed 1" below my hunting loads using my stock. I haven't yet tested them with the youth model stock on my rifle so it might change a little bit.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff!

its good to see females getting into hunting/shooting!

she looks like shes nearly as young as me, always good to see young people walking around outside rather that infront of the computer like everyone reading this rotflmo

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote