New
Find
Notify
Tools

6X47 or 6.8 Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a Stevens 200 cheap in .223 Rem. I've already got a great .223 rifle, so I'm looking to play with this rifle. The 6x47 keeps jumping out at me but I have plenty of 6mm and .277 caliber bullets I could play with. Hmmmm, what to do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6x47 will fit your current bolt face. The 6.8 Remington will require you to enlarge the bolt face from about .373" to about .421". I'm not familiar with this action, but I assume such an alteration would not be difficult.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basicly a Savage short action similar to the 110. So changing out the bolt face shouldn't be to dificult. I've never messed with a Savage rifle but I always read how easy it is, so I thouhgt I might give it a go.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 6x47 is an interesting little round and adds a bit of thump over the .223. I've used both the standard and AI versions in Contenders and always enjoyed terrific accuracy.

The 6.8 SPC never tickled my fancy as there are a number of other cartridges already filling that performance niche.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for a cheap short action Stevens or Savage to come my way. Long actions are a dime a dozen, but I want the short. I'd like to do the same thing as you with a 6x47 or 6.5 TCU. Good luck with your new rig(s)!

Life's too short to carry a gun that you hate!

Posts: 46 | Location: In Pennsylvania, wishing for more Silhouette Matches and friendly, woodchuck hating, Farmers in the geographic center of the state. | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6x47(222Magnum necked up to 6mm)is an accurate and fun little cartridge. If not for the advent of the PPC's during the mid 70's, the benchrest circuit would still be full of 6x47's! I use a custom built one, built on a Model 7 action with a 20" Lilja stainless barrel,MacMillan QuietCloth stock and shooting 70 grain Sierra Blitzkings is lights out on vermin in a light walk around carry rifle out to 300 yards. Try one, you'll love it! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking 6x45/223 first since I have tons of .223 brass, but I keep seeing the 6x47/222 Mag and I love my .204 Ruger. I just want somehting fun to play with that has a little more thump than the .223 Rem, but doesn't require a whole lot of powder to get there.

The 6.8 sounds like fun as well, but I think I'll wait on that one and maybe try it in my Encore.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at loading data for the 6.8 to see what bullet weights are listed? I have a 6.8 upper that I'm in the process of building up but it appears to me the bullet weight selection for this caliber is quite limited. Anyone have other information?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-.223...now you're talking! thumb

My first was built on an XP with a 14" Shilen barrel, and there have been several since then. It's one of the easiest calibers to load for, requires no fireforming and can be phenomenally accurate.

Most of my shooting has been with 80 grain bullets, Rem 7 1/2 primers and H335 powder.

A 1:10 is my preference for twist rate as 80 grainers are about as heavy/long a bullet as I use. If i would be shooting beyond the 80s, I'd no doubt opt for a 1:8.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
Have you looked at loading data for the 6.8 to see what bullet weights are listed?

No I haven't however I know quite a few people with quickload so I could probably come up with some data. I figured I would have it throated for 130 grain 135 at most. I have a .270 Win that will not shoot anything below 130 grains well, and so I figured I'd chamber a 6.8 to shoot 130's and below. The only problem I could see running 130's would be the magazine length.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The performance difference between the 6x45 and 6x47 are minimal. I'd go with the 6x45. The one I had was built as a match rifle for NRA competition and would produce sub-one-inch 10-shot groups at 100 yards with 87-grain Sierra BTHP bullets. It favored H322 powder, with IMR4895 a close second.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I went a head and ordered a Savage pre-fit barrel today in 6x47. Should see the barrel in 5 weeks and hopefully by the end of August I'll have a few rounds ran down the barrel and we will see what other mods I'll have to do to my Savage. Went with a 20" #3 Douglas countour, 11 degree recessed crown in CM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6X47 and it's a great little cartridge. But if I were doing it now, I'd go with the 6X45 (6MM-223). Performance is practically the same and brass is much easier to come by....especially since you have a lot already! Wink

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've had a 6mm/.223 ever since 1982. I like it very much with about 70 grain bullets. Makes a great little Javelina gun.

Mine is actually a 6m/m-TCU, which is kinda like a 6mm/.223-AI. If you'd like a sample cartridge case to look over, whip a mailing address to me via PM and I'll send you one gratis.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

Thanks for the offer, and sorry I didn't reply sooner. I just got back from a three week vacation thanks to the good old Army Reserves. My barrel should be in in a couple of more weeks, so it is a little late to change my mind and go with the 6mm TCU. I guess if I don't like the 6x47 I can always set back the barrel and try a TCU.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been running a 6*47 for years. With a 70 gr Sierra BK it performs way beyond any 223 that I've ever seen. Really nice round, I love it.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb747:
I've been running a 6*47 for years. With a 70 gr Sierra BK it performs way beyond any 223 that I've ever seen. Really nice round, I love it.

Mind sharing some of your data on the round? What length of barrel are you running? Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should like the 6x47 a lot. I had one 39 years ago, and it was very close to the 6PPC in accuracy.
The main advantage of the 6x47 over the 6x45 is case neck length, with the x47 having a slightly longer neck. Otherwise, they are very close to each other.
Midway has 222 Mag brass available now, or at least they did three days ago when I checked. I bought 250 222 Mag cases from Huntingtons.com for a pair of rifles I have in standard 222 Mag. No one else had the brass when I bought mine.

Have fun with U'R new rifle!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've got the barrel in hand now, just waiting on a new recoil lug before I install it. I went with Sharp Shooters Supply competition recoil lug, and threw in their competition trigger, as well as a tactical bolt knob just to change it up a little. I haven't decided on a scope yet so I'll just throw my little 2-7 Nikon Monarch I took off of my .30-06 on it for now. I hope to get the rifle put together this weekend. dancing

posted Hide Post
Go to the 6mm Benchrest website. I believe in "guns of the week" they had 6-6.5x47 so you can use Lapua Brass. Looks interesting.

Posts: 14 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 06 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogman:
Go to the 6mm Benchrest website. I believe in "guns of the week" they had 6-6.5x47 so you can use Lapua Brass. Looks interesting.

Thanks Hogman, however the 6-6.5X47 Lapua is based off of a different cartridge than the .222 Rem Mag. The 6X47 cartridge is closer to the PPC or BR cartridge than the one I used. I looked at the Lapua cartridge and it would have required a new magazine and bolt face to make work.