Find
Notify
Tools

Nationals!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I'm going to Nationals for 4-H in Smallbore Rifle. Currently I have been shooting smallbore competitively for about 3 months. Here's how I did. Big Grin
Ok, I figure I'll update this after my events, some people on the Remington forum said they'd like to see how I did, so here goes:

Day 1: Sighted in for silhouette, 104 degrees HOT at a pretty severe downhill angle, shot some real good groups.
Day 2: Guess sighting in how everyone did was a bad idea. We shot silhouette for score this morning, everyone shot high, it was only mid 60's, made everyones shots go high I guess. I got 8th overall, with a 20! The girl I spotted for got 1st individual with 25, our Missouri team got 1st. Hopefully we can keep it up, we got lots of pictures taken and some pretty nice gold medals. We sighted in for CMP tomorrow, hopefully temps will be about the same so we don't have the issues we did today. I had some good groups prone, then I also had some trigger control problems, hopefully I'll concentrate and get the 10-x's tomorrow!
Day 3: Shot CMP this morning, not sure of the exact individual rankings, will find out at the awards ceremony tonight. I shot a 580/600 (as of now, the scoring was a bit messed up), the girl I spot for shot a 589/600, only 5 off the best score ever. Of course those 5 points would be amazingly hard to come by. Her and I got interviewed by a local paper, they said the interview would be online. Our entire team did excellent, think we dropped 72 points out of 1800? I'll report back after the ceremony. Also sighted in for 3P tomorrow, but I think the heat was messing up my shots. My prone had two 7's in a row, one at 6 and one at 12, then a nice group that didn't want to move when my sights did.
Day 3 again: I got 3rd individual, I only had a 576, still good, but at first they said 578, then 580, now 576. Oh well, I'm still pleased. The girl with a 589 actually dropped to 588, but still got first. Missouri finished first again tonight, but 3P is a different story. Today I watched a kid shoot a 50 in offhand. 3 x's too. This kid shot a 13 in Silhouette I believe. What I don't understand is that kids are so good at 3P, but at CMP which is much easier, and Silhouette, they can't hit as well.
Day 4: Last day, shot a personal best with 470 on 3P. Not stellar, but good since I've only been shooting a couple months. Now the better news, Missouri finished second behind Pennsylvania, but they had been training since they were 6 for this specific match, no shame in losing to them. What was super suprising is that I got 5th in the nation! That will give me some bragging rights in school! Tomorrow I'm just doing tourist stuff, then Saturday we head home, but are going through the Badlands and also going Prairie Dog hunting. I had a great time! Feel free to leave responses!

I thought Nationals was an awesome time, too bad you can only do each discipline once... I'm not sure what I'll try out for next year, I can choose from shotgun, air rifle, air pistol, smallbore pistol, muzzleloading, recurve, compound, hunting skills, etc.
SmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmilerSmiler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Talked to the guy who got #1 overall...I beat him in everything except 3P, which he shot amazing at. 585/600...I am stunned. Of course he has shot since he was 6, and everyday at school gets to practice every position for an hour...

I'll try to get a picture or two up!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

Great shooting.

Competition brings out the best in everyone and competition against the best of the best will bring out the ultimate in you. That's why Nationals of any kind, whether pistol, rifle, shotguns, bows, or hand grenade tossing are a must for any shooter wanting to excel.

If I am only able to shoot in one match a year it is always one of the Nationals.

Just wait until next year. Smiler Big Grin

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job Tyler!

I wish my 4H club had a shooting program when I was growing up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Can't believe I just barely made the team a couple of months ago, then ended up 5th. Practice didn't quite make perfect, but it made a real big difference!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck at the event!!!

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Tyler, Great report and wonderful performance! You will be very hard to beat next year with what you have just learned. Congratulations.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
State shoot is in September, I really want to place first. Couple of really good shooters in the way, I better practice hard. Big Grin