New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun I.D. Sako?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the gunshop today and a guy brought in a rifle that we couldn't find in the books. It was a 22-250 said Sako barrel on the barrel the serial number was A54**. Mauser action with Finn. marks. He was buying it from an older gent. We thought it was a very early sako. The old guy said it was from the early 60's. Didn't have the normal bolt safety, it was seperate from the bolt. The scope that was on it was a Baush & Lomb. It sat in these donut looking mounts the had micro adjustments. The scope had to be a least a couple feet long. The front base was mounted on the barrel.

Any ideas? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like a Sako to me. From the early 60's it would have been an L571. Earlier it would have been an L57. Sako actions had the scope mounts built into the action and came with Sako rings. Could be someone took a barrel off a sako and put it on a Mauser?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
can you post a picture of it?I have a book that has all sako models listed,and I have a L57 myself.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a 22-250 said Sako barrel on the barrel the serial number was A54**. Mauser action with Finn. marks.

Are you saying it was a (FN) Mauser with Finnish marks on the action? Or were the "Finnish" marks only on the barrel?

Here's a possibility: Sako built "long action" calibers on the FN Mauser action prior to the introduction of their long L61R action. If the action appears to have Sako markings, then it would probably be from one of those guns. The barrel would be a later Sako .22-250 placed on the Mauser action. I'm assuming that this is possible, although I'm not certain if the threads would match, or if it would be possible to rethread the barrel if not.

A photo and a fuller description would help a great deal.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't do pics. The scope mounts weren't built into the action. From what I can gather it must have been a custom job with a mauser action.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Sako barrel's were good barrel's and I wouldn't be suprized that someone just screwed one on a mauser action. If it was built by Sako I'd think it would be an L57 or L571 action, not much mistaking them.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if my memory goes back that far, i believe the 1st of the sako's were on mauser actions, the b&l scope in the adjustable mount would also be correct for that age. the only thing is the caliber, if the age groups is right, it would be before the 22/250 because a commercial round. and the age group would be well before the 60's, probably into the 54-56 range

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just carried a Sako/fn Mauser over to my gunsmith to have it put in a brown precision stock.. There were NO markings of any kind on the reciever, not even a proof but the bolt handle had the usual FN mark on the upper root. I also have a Husqvarnar/fn rifle, it the action is covered with marks & proofs, the bolt handle is also marked. If it was in the $500.00 range I'd buy it..A factory sako stock has a round forend but the back looks like a weatherby.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tom ga hunter, what you desribed is what he had.(Sako/fn Mauser)
The guy he was buying it from wanted $450 for it.(with scope) Sounded like a heck of a deal to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action, trigger & bottom metal is worth more than that..If you don't want it please pm me contact information.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote