New
Find
Notify
Tools

how come
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
how come it is that my remington 700 221 fireball can shoot a 5 shoot group under an inch and in the time it takes me to reloade it shoots the second 5 shoot group under an inch but it is two inches lower than the other group.

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try shooting groups without loading them in the magazine. You may be moving the receiver in the stock when you stuff the magazine.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
Your barrel is getting hot........take more time between shots.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdrive:
how come it is that my remington 700 221 fireball can shoot a 5 shoot group under an inch and in the time it takes me to reloade it shoots the second 5 shoot group under an inch but it is two inches lower than the other group.

By the time you've reloaded, the barrel is pointing to a different spot on the target because of it's having had time to heat up......

The 221's powder charge is small, and it takes longer for the barrel to heat up significantly.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the heat issue seems real its just strange how it does it per group. I will sand out the 10 psi ridge in the stock today and head back to the range

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote