THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone tried the 120 gr barnes triple shock?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tried the 120 gr barnes triple shock?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I'm suffering from gun project fever, and am considering something that shoots fast, but still has mild recoil. The little research I've done indicates a long tubed 6.5-06, or 6.5-06 ackley should be able to achieve 3300 fps with a 120 gr. Combining that with a 120 gr triple shock seems like a good combo for a flat shotting deer rifle. Just curious if anyone has tried that, or a similiar combo.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another cartridge that i have that you might find interesting is a 6.5/284 low recoil,and a real game getter. Its not as fast but SPEED is not the answer to having a good gun.Speed is needed yes but not all that fast,one doesn,t want to zipp right through the game llike a metal piercing bullet. this is a dynamic catridge,just another thought. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the 120 Ballistic Tip at 3350 out of my old 264 WM M70. It's very flat shooting and the recoil is ok in the heavy rifle.

For that weight bullet I don't think the 264 WM is the best capacity. Your idea of a 6.5-06 or others would be enough.

My cannon has a 26" barrel and weighs a ton. A 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 would be handier with a 24" tube.

Keep in mind that the 284 Winchester and other 7mm's will shoot 120 bullets and they are standard rounds.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Keep in mind that the 284 Winchester and other 7mm's will shoot 120 bullets and they are standard rounds.

As an itinerate gun crank, I'll invoke my right to be have disdain for a caliber for no paticular reason Wink The one caliber I just can't stand is the 7mm. Kinda like brussle sprouts, I just can't stand them, and now that I'm an adult, I don't have to have them.

6.5mm's on the other hand, appeal to me to now end. They are long and sleek and sexy. That and the 120 gr triple shock has some skookem high bc and should be plenty flat shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever thought about going to therapy? .020 botheres you that much? Do you work for the post office?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I've just started loading for 6.5mms and have some triple shox, but haven't shot anything with them yet. Currently I'm loading for a 6.5x55mm and have a .256 Newton coming later this year. Although I'm a big 7mm fan, my 280 is really more gun than needed for the small deer here in TN. I like my .25-06, but while very lethal, it doesn't smack 'em down with the same authority, although I wasn't using triple shox. I intend to try the .257 100gr & 115gr TSX.
I've a good friend that has both 6.5-06 and .264 Win Mag that has had good results using Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady SSTs. Bell liked his 6.5mm Mannlicher for elephants, so what better endorsement could you ask for? I'll let you know what results I get with the 6.5 TSXs.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with TSX so far is with a 260 XPR (handgun)and a 7/08. The 260 gets 2750 (15" brl) using the 120 TSX.The 7/08 gets 2900+ with the 140 gr TSX pill using a 22" Kimber Montana. Only 3 deer between them so far; 2 instant kills, another went < 25 yrds. Accuracy is significantly improved over the straight X's I've been using for years. Your bullet choice is great.

As for the chambering: The hell with convention, get what you want. One only goes around once. Get 'r done while you can.....'cause they don't allow guns in the old folks home.

My next planned project is converting a 6/284, with a too slow twist, to 6.5/06, likely AI. The tube will likely be 26" with 3250 fps as a target velocity with 120's.(Obviously .02" DOES matter).

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't 3,300 fps seem a little optimistic? (assume a 22" or 24" barrel) I looked at the Hodgdon data for a 6.5-06 (with pressure readings) awhile back. Although I don't remember the exact velocities, I was suprised how lttle velocity gain the 6.5-06 has over the 260 Rem. I would guess 3,200 fps is on the high side.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yes, 3300 is optomistic, and really requires a 264 win mag. I just hadn't found that much data for the 6.5-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using them in a little kimber 260, with good results as long as I keep the barrel clean. Groups well for about 15-20 rds, and groups open up until you clean it.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No moderation for the moderator?

Sixpointfive is the one you need. It’ll take anything from grouse to moose and the big white would most certainly be scared. If you talk to Mr. Bell, he would say it would collect the money for the day and some for tomorrow.

Me myself, I have done them all, including the sixpointfive- threehundred, which I immediately renamed; the sixpointfive – whiplash.

For hunting don’t bother. It really does not matter, not at all out to three hundred at least.

Yes, yes, I know what you are saying. Yes, yes, I use the 6.5-284, mrp-2 and the highest possible BC’s available. For me the 139 Scenar, propelled to three-thousand-two, smash through whatever, one shot one kill, and you may consume the meat, I tell you.

If you would like to raise some eye-brows including yours, try to lay your hands on some of the 7 gram G.S. custom bullets from South Africa, the HV type, or the equivalent Kupferjagdgesosse from Germany. They have drive bands, cannon shell like, and are the only monometallic bullets I would recommend. They are expensive, but, well, hell, we newer live twice? Do we?

From the other side….