THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    80 gr Barnes TTSX in the 250 savage.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 gr Barnes TTSX in the 250 savage.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a box to try out today.
1st attempt will be with IMR 4064. I am curious to see how it does, On another site a Guy says it will not stabilize at 1 in 14. But I think it might.
Another guy says he gets .4 inches. It is such a different animal than a led core bullet would be.
Its longer than is ideal if you include the plastic tip, but I don't think the Tip matters in regards to stability , it weighs nothing , I wish it was a flat base. With out the tip the length is right close to the 90 grain sierra BT HP my rifle likes...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with them in my 1-10" twist 250 over a moderate load of CFE223 that generates about 3100 fps. Bullet stabilization is more a matter of length than weight, so that tip does affect it. If your rifle works with the 90 gr Sierra that's a good sign the 80 grain TTSX will do OK.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I doubt that light weight Polymer type has much effect but if you believe that it is an issue remove it. Comes off easy enough.
I'm skeptical when someone tells me "don't bother that doesn't work" I take it as a challenge to make it work and you know what? You never know what "your" rifle will like until you find it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve you could be right, about the tip.
But it seems to me what is needed to stabilize the bullet is balance.
And length effects balance only if it has weight.
And that tip has none, but i am not basing this on science its just a hunch.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
tj, if you don't get the Barnes to shoot use the 90 grain Sierra. That is a very durable bullet, don't let the HP fool you into thinking its for Varmints.
We've shot whitetails with the 85 grain .243" version of the same bullet and it is very effective I would not hesitate to use it in a 250/3000 for Mulies.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snellstrom, that is very useful info,
I am thinking that if i dont get really good results with any of the other bullets, i will focus in on that one. And try it with various powders,
I also found another 99 in 250 i am engeneering my Finances to buy, its not as cool in some respects, tang safety and aluminum cartridge counter, but it has a 1 in 10 twist and a 20 inch barrel.
I would love to put a 100 grain Boat tail out of a cool little lever gun into an inch at 2900 fps. Browning should try a run of BLRs in the 250/3000 !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve mirrowed my experience with them..I like the 85 gr. GS Customs best, bug the older 85 gr. BarnesX shoots great in my guns..stick one of those puppys thru a deer and he flops 95% of the time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, if your ever amind to part with the 99A carbne, I'll take it off your hands, trade or cash..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
tj, if you don't get the Barnes to shoot use the 90 grain Sierra. That is a very durable bullet, don't let the HP fool you into thinking its for Varmints.
We've shot whitetails with the 85 grain .243" version of the same bullet and it is very effective I would not hesitate to use it in a 250/3000 for Mulies.

Dave, I think a lot of folks see a HP Sierra and think its not a tough bullet but forget or fail to realise that a plastic tipped bullet is a hollow point bullet.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

Dave, I think a lot of folks see a HP Sierra and think its not a tough bullet but forget or fail to realise that a plastic tipped bullet is a hollow point bullet.

Now Ted, stop spreading truth around these pages. Big Grin

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the Barnes 80 grain ttsx, today. Not to good in my slow twist 99, not horrible , but about2 inches. Sure did impressive damage to the stump i was shooting at though.
I bought the 99A and tried her out today also.
Cool rifle but the little 2x7 by 28 leupold Bottomed out while i was still a foot high at 100 yards.
So i dropped it at my smith who will alter the scope base, It functions good and is really a prety cool rifle !...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snellstrom:
We've shot whitetails with the 85 grain .243" version of the same bullet and it is very effective I would not hesitate to use it in a 250/3000 for Mulies.[/QUOTE

90 gr sierra in my model 14 savage 250 shoots wonderfully well and destroys deer lung tissue.
loaded with 39.5 gr of win 760 very accurate in my rifle.....fs

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last fall I modified some Barnes TTSX and GMX bullets for a 6.5 Grendel to get the velocity up, I used a precision collet in my lathe and a form tool I ground. Took the 100 gr bullet to 85gr by parting the back end off and adding a boat tail. Was able to boost the velocity up to better the expansion window of those bullets.

Doing the same to your 25 cal bullets would bring it to 70gr (or whatever you wanted) and increase stabilization (and velocity). Might be they’d shoot much better and being solid would expand and still offer good penetration.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
You are way more dedicated than i am,i will just try different bullets. The Sierra 90 seems a popular choice, and i have gotten good groups.
I just loaded 20 Rounds 17 with 33 grains of IMR 3031, And 3 With 33.5. I think book max is 34.
Might shoot them up this weekend , in my Slow twist 250. I Dropped my fast twist 250 off at the Smith to have the Scope base worked on. The old compact leupodld 2x7 compact bottoms out of adjustment before i get it zeroed.
Another popular Bullet in slow twist 250s is the 87 grain speer hot core.
So far my slow twist shoots the 100 grain better than the 87s. Think i will try both of those again too...tj3006

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 99 and my FN, the 100 gr. Nosler Bal tips tend to keyhole, the 100 gr. sp bullets do not..I think the length of the Nosler with the tip is the culprit..Its length not weight that works against the 1x14 twists...and yes every 250-3000 and 257 Robts std or Ackley seems to thrive on the Sierra btHP in the accuracy dept..Its also a deadly bullet on smaller Texas Hill country Whitetail and West texas Coues and the so called Del Carmen Whitetails..Ive seen it used on Mule Deer and if you keep it in the ribs it kills like a lighting bolt..probably not on the shoulder..The 1x14 twist is for bullets under 100 grs., but my 99 shoots the 100 gr. flat base in little groups, it dotes on the GS Customs 85 gr., the old Barnes 75 gr. bullets (I still have a few), and the 90 gr. Sierras always shoot in about anything..My top load is the GS customs and it will shoot thru an elk broadside behind the shoulder.Its my deer bullet of choice..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120