New
Find
Notify
Tools

250-3000 Kurtz Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a fine Kurtz in 250-3000 that i want to load for. I have a couple of hundred pieces of WW brass and I like Nosler Partitions so will build the rounds based on the 100gr. bullet. What is the conventional wisdom with this rifle and loading. It has a dovetail in the front receiver ring which is currently plugged. While searching the forum there were some mention of RL15 or Varget as being good powders. I am looking for some load suggestions.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Calibre. My one and only rifle is a 700 Rem Classic in 250-3000. I had very good luck with the IMR powders 3031, 4320 and one more I xcan not remember right now. I will hve a look. I did many years ago an extensive load workup the the WW brass and the surprizing thing was that accuracy could be improved or the other way as well by changing ONLY THE PRIMER. My complete load data book was lost in Hurricane Andrew and I haven't load since. Still shooting stuff I loaded before then. Get a Cronograph if you really want to twist the tail of that little darling.
Good Luck and expect some great accuracy because that round can deliver it.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a high dollar rifle and that dovetail in the front ring can't help strength any. I'd keep pressures down to the original Savage 99 45,000 CUP level. There's an ocean of data. I like 4320 and H 414, but I think both of those have been discontinued.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger likes Varget, my M99 likes RL-15. John Barnses has written about Ramshot Big Game in the chambering. Most of the medium speed powders should do well.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote