Find
Notify
Tools

New caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between 243win and 25-06 there is no doubt I would choose the 25-06 ! N.b. I have had both and I like 25-06 much better, performance wise especially on deer size game there is a big difference in my opinion and experience. The 25-06 just hammers them. 243win is a fine varmint round but 25-06 is definitely more versatile.

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like the .243 but my friend thinks the 6mm Remington is far better (100+ fps). I found the following on Wikipedia:

The 6mm Remington was introduced by Remington Arms Company in 1955 as the .244 Remington. It is based on necking down the .257 Roberts. Originally intended as a Varmint and predator cartridge, the .244 was never factory loaded with bullets over 90 grains. Rifles marked .244 Remington have a 1 in 12-inch (300 mm) twist that may not stabilize the heavier 100 and 105 grain bullets. Originally Remington offered factory ammunition with 75 grain bullets for varmints and 90 grain for deer. In 1963 Remington renamed the cartridge, calling it the 6mm Remington. Rifles marked 6mm Remington have a 1 in 9-inch (230 mm) twist and can stabilize all commercially available 6 mm bullets.[1]

The 6mm Remington has a slight ballistic advantage over the much more popular .243 Winchester due to a slightly larger case capacity. The longer case neck of the 6mm Remington is considered desirable by handloaders. Noted Alabama deer hunter and marksman Creath Davis is a proponent of this caliber.

It was discovered soon after its release as .244 Remington that in the Remington Model 722 rifles the rate of twist used in the barrels would not stabilize heavier bullets weighing more than 90 grains. This led to a poor reputation for the cartridge as being "inaccurate." Remington soon increased the rate of twist in its Model 722 rifles, but the marketability damage was already done as far as the cartridge was concerned. Therefore the name was changed to 6 mm Remington. The .244 Remington and the 6 mm Remington are identical - only the name changed.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe run some ballistics data between the 25-06, 270, 243, and 223 before you spend some coin. Then, enjoy your new 243.....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-06, no question. Better medium big game bullet selection, no brass flow issues like the 243 (yes the 244 is a far superior cartridge killed off by "on the take" Olin supported gun writers back when, who probably never shot it with a 100gr bullet), accurate and even able, in a pinch, to take on bigger game with the great 120 gr premium controlled expansion bullets out there.

You can almost get 3000 fps w/a 100 gr in a 243
You can get 3100 with a 120gr in a 25-05

Easy choice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and 3450fps with 110's in a 270. Just sayin.....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunz,

The 243 is my most used hunting rifle. I have it sighted with the 58gr Vmax for pests. That load is also ricochet resistant.

I have had one since 1957. Lapua even makes high quality brass for it!

Consider a .17HMR rifle. I got one recently and it's low on noise for year around pests and very accurate.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of rifles, mostly bigger bores and some flat shooting big game rifles..

I started out in life with a 25-35 for deer and elk, got some size and graduated to the Savage mod 99 in 250-3000.

The 250-3000 was then and is now my all time favorite deer rifle. I have one in a Savage 99F, circa 1956, that shoots little bitty groups. I have a 99EG 250 and a small ring Mauser that does likewise. they are my go to deer rifles..I have not hunted elk with the 250 for many many years, but I would not feel depressed or insecure if I had to hunt elk again with it..I shot half a dozen elk with my dads 250 when I was young, all one shot kills. He shot 50 plus elk with it. Never lost one.

I have a lifetime love affair with the 250-3000 cartridge, it seems they all are super accurate, they are the perfect combination of accuracy and killing power up to a point and they don't jar you bicuspids loose.

I still hunt deer with the 250, but my elk huntuing today is with the .338 Win..elk hunting has changed a lot since my youth and it
s harder today and the elk are much wilder and you may have to take shots that are less than perfect or go home empty handed. They come out late and need to be dropped on the spot, they hang in black timber and only give going away shots, Lots of shots are across canyons and you need long range rifles, they require a big stopper where I hunt in Idaho. You would be at a disadvantage with a lighter rifle IMO>

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
How about a .10 Eichelberger for the really dangerous stuff?

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Dear OP. Have you considered going to the next level? 6.5mm bullets (.264) are flat shooters and can be loaded in a wide array of bullet weights from 100 grain to 142 grain. Many 1,000 yard matches have been won with 6.5's including the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5-.264 Winchester just to name a couple. Food for thought. Have fun. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Dear OP. Have you considered going to the next level? 6.5mm bullets (.264) are flat shooters and can be loaded in a wide array of bullet weights from 100 grain to 142 grain. Many 1,000 yard matches have been won with 6.5's including the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5-.264 Winchester just to name a couple. Food for thought. Have fun. CB
Just found a varmint 90 grain. http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...low-point-box-of-100

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
250 savage in a new Savage m14 bolt or old savage 99 or old Ruger 77.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
How about a .10 Eichelberger for the really dangerous stuff?

Clem, isn't that basically a 30-06 case necked down to a phonograph needle?

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

was there fenced elk in Texas when you were a whipper snapper?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a .25 over the 243 any day. I like both the 257 Roberts and 25-06 for different reasons.....both are easier to get brass and rifles for than the 25WSSM. (I own a 257R and 25WSSM)
I wouldn't worry too much about factory ammo availability being crucial.....or you probably wouldn't be on this forum anyway.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote