THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New Here -- Any more reduced loads for .223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Here -- Any more reduced loads for .223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks, I was bopped here from H&R 1871 site, liked what I saw, and signed up. I mainly shoot target (rimfire -.223 - and H&R Buffalo Classic). I'm interested in some more reduced loads for my .223, and if possible, ones that will work with 52 HPBT Sierra's. I just started messing around with Unique -- seems very interesting.

Posts: 25 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 7.5 gr of 800X and 45gr Hornadys at 2200fps in my 223. Shoots very well and still seems to be a mild load.

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Calhoon bullet web site, jamescalhoon.com

They have an article called to 218 Bee or Not to 218 Bee.
It has articles about reduced loads for the 223.

I tried using blue dot shot gun powder, and now it is my main 223 load. 12.5 grains will yield 2600 fps with anything from a 40 grain bullet to a 55 grain bullet.

It is cheap and accurate. Beats any of the other powders I tried for accuracy, and consistency.

It also takes a long time to heat up a heavy barreled varmint rifle using it.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys. It seems like the shotgun powders have the edge. I've been playing w/Unique for my 45-70 -- so far so good -- haven't lost an eye or anything! Haven't really had a chance to shoot much -- Too much snow. I will take the cautions to heart. Looks like I will keep looking for my .223 loads.

Posts: 25 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this forum, the reloading and the varmint forums. I recall that just recently this topic was covered in great detail. There might be some posts there that are of additional help.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Loner, First off - Welcome Aboard!

If you are interested in using Reduced Loads that have been tested by some of the larger component manufacturers, let me recommend the Lyman Reloading Manual and the Speer Manual. Both of them have Reduced Loads. I've not had a Sierra Manual in a few years now, so I don't know if they have them or not.

You can get FREE Manuals from the actual Powder Manufacturers and some of them list Reduced Loads. I know IMR and Accurate both do, but the Hodgdon Manual does not.

I'd also recommend you learn about Pressure Ring Expansion and how to measure it with a set of 0.0001" capable Micrometers. This way you can track the Pressure Increases as you add Powder and be able to STOP before you reach, or STOP at, a SAFE MAX Pressure for those Reduced Loads.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 10grs to 11grs of H 110 with 40 gr, v-max...they are very accurate, almost no recoil and all this with a lot less noise...
I tried several other powders but H 110 was the very best,,,, Good luck......

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the nice welcome and really GREAT advice!

I suspected that there would be some knowledgeable folks here, and I was not dissappointed.

Loner

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I like Blue Dot is that you can't doublecharge the case without it overflowing as long as you load more than 11 gr. 10 gr will give you 50% filling of the case, very bulky powder. I load 11.6 gr BD with a 40-gr V-Max. It yields very good accuracy and a MV of 2700 fps out of a 21" barrel.