New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Browning Safari 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nothing defintive, just remember reading somewhere that they were barrelled and stocked in Belgium along with the FN actioned Browning Safari's.I wish someone could tell us for sure.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
This rifle has a bright bolt and andle and an engraved, but no gold leaf, floor plate.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gold leaf was pretty light on some of them and I have seen examples where the gold is worn off without the bluing appearing to have suffered.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC: Many years ago my friend Louie had one of these Browning Varminters in 22-250. Not only was it a beautiful Rifle it shot very well also! I shot it a couple of times at Varmints and it had a very pleasing trigger. His Rifle and others like it I have seen since had the "3 step" barrel. It had three distinct diameters - the thickest of course being right in front of the action then it stepped down to a slightly smaller diameter then it stepped down again to the final (third) diameter and continued to the muzzle.
I do not recall if his had gold filled engraving on it or not. He has since sold the Rifle and wishes he hadn't! I know I wish I had it for myself.
What power is the Lyman scope! I saw a straight 20X Lyman Perma-center scope at a Gunshow last week and the asking price was $245.00.
Good luck if you decide to go for it!
I would offer $850.00 and ask them to throw in the gun case and a set of Redding dies with it!
If you had one of the wonderful Siebert Bore Inspection Tools ($29.00) you could ascertain the exact condition of the leades to the rifling and the condition of the barrel. I just sold my last 7 of these tools at the Gunshow in the Seattle area last week. They are usually available from Russ Haydons Shooters Supply! I keep two of them around at all times. One in my travel kit and one in my cleaning kit. So I am never without one.
Again good luck if you decide to go for it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The rifles were assembled in FN in Belgium. Be careful with the salt problem Browning stocks had in some of their safari grade rifles. The Blue Book of Gun Values will give you a date of manufacture based on SERNO. IF the guns is in good shape, it's worth every bit of 925. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote