New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cooper Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cooper is my next rifle. I've wanted one for years now and finally have saved up enough money. I just purchased a new Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. last year and by the time I paid to have it glass bedded, barrel floated all the way out and get rid of that damned 8lb trigger pull I could have just about paid for a Cooper. I think Cooper is an excellent rifle. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have never owned or shot one but a member at the Twin Cities Rod and Gun club here in Appleton, WI owns one which shoots beautifully and is superbly made. However it is a single shot and I was told that none of their centerfire rifles are available in magazine versions. They do make their rimfires in magazine versions, though.

That is absolutely correct. All of the Cooper centerfire rifles are single shot because they believe a magazine hole will make the rifle less rigid and thus less accurate. The rimfire (model 57) is a repeater.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel fouling is extremely minimal, especially if you are inquiring as to copper.
My sessions, bench or afield, typically do not go beyond 25-30 rounds. Maybe a long day on a PD town may show more.
Even the 17 Mach IV does not foul beyond what I expect, so another nail in the coffin on "those .17's have to be cleaned every 5 shots"....not if it's a Cooper (or even a CZ)

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned or shot one but a member at the Twin Cities Rod and Gun club here in Appleton, WI owns one which shoots beautifully and is superbly made. However it is a single shot and I was told that none of their centerfire rifles are available in magazine versions. They do make their rimfires in magazine versions, though.

If you enjoy sniping at vermin at immensely long ranges it would be a superb choice. Do post pictures of your rifle here after you buy it.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but look at the downside. Buy a Cooper and you won't get the thrill of shelling out a couple hundred dollars extra to glassbed the action, float the barrel all the way out, and experience the joy of replacing an 8 lb. trigger.
Cooper is well worth the investment. I only wish I had a dozen of them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Excellent photo's DCMI. How is the 7mm WSM shooting?

Actually, haven't had much opportunity to shoot it. Last match was only 600 so I shot my .260 with 139 Lapuas. Came in next to last, but it was fun. First prone match in a long time.

I have just received the new 7 WSM Redding Competition bushing dies for the rifle.

D.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

DMCI,

Who makes that shooting bench? Looks very sturdy.

Regards,
Kory

http://www.varmintmasters.net

The Cadillac of portable shooting benches. Kind'a pricey.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote