THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New Savage shooting fantastic

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Savage shooting fantastic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellas

I'm here to tell you that these American Classic rifles are a product each and everyone of you should have a copy of. I ordered mine up in the original savage chamber 250/3000 which some of us now refer to as the 250 savage. Really nice walnut stock, action seems fairly smooth, free floated and mine so far is proving the be exceptionally accurate. I have done loads with 75gr hornady HP ammo and 87gr Speer TNT's. If one of you fine fellas would like to pm me an email so you could attach my targets to this thread that would be extra nice. I have a few other rifles in my assotment but this is my first savage centerfire. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They usually do. I have three Savages and straight out of the factory nothing I own beats them in the accuracy department.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy for your success with your new 250 Savage rifle. Yep, the Savages shoot quite well. The Marlin X series clones, do pretty well too.

250 Savage is a cartridge I'd like to have. If Green Mountain Barrel Co. ever has their rolling block replacement barrel available in 25 Cal, I'll probably have my 1910 Remington RB, that has a bad chamber, redone in 250 Savage.

Once again, congrats on your 250 Savage.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Savage club and the 250/3000 cult. I built a model 10 in 250/3000 several years before the model 14 was available. With 100gr bullets it is an excellent whitetail rifle. Having caught the Savage bug is going to cost you some money each and every year.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you fellows found a powder bullet combo that works well at less than a full case of powder? I have only tried out 3 powders so far. 4064 with 75gr, R15 with 87gr, and Varget with 100gr. I'd like to find a load for this rifle that has good accuracy with the 75gr bullet but with less than a full charge. With all three of these loads the ones that grouped best were the ones close to max. case capacity. thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading out to the range again tomorrow with a freshly cleaned bore and some flat base loads with 100gr Siera and re15 and some Sierra game king BT bullets, see if the rifle has a preference. FS

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Most loads work better if they are close to or slightly more than case capacity. Filling the case so the powder is slightly compressed holds the powder the same for every shot and leads to a more consistant ignition and burn.
That's the theory as it was explained to me. A good example is the 222, most of the most accurate loads you need a long drop tube to get all the podwer into the case.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
f-s,

Congratulations on your new Savage; they are IMO the firearm's industies best kept secret; fine shooters - period. Good Luck with it.

Fantastic that the 75 & 87 grainers are shooting well. Depending on your ultimate desires for the rifle, I suggest trying as many different bullets as you want to in the 250 Savage. We've continued to be surpised at the results when testing new projectiles. As a Deer Killer though, the 100, 115, 117 & 120 grainers will thump 'em with more aplomb.

In the 25's (we're loading 250 Savage, 25-06 Remington & 257 Weatherby) we prefer the heavy(ier) weights and the Sierra 120 HPBT GameKing is one of the all-time greats. While it may not have all the glitz & glamour associated with higher velocities of the lighter bullets in the 250 Savage it put a thump on 'em.

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have two "modern" ones.

The 9.3x62 (export only)(chuckle) is a bone stock sub MOA rifle.

The 338 RUM (not Savage bbl) is a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Not as pretty as a deluxe FN from the 50s but deadly killers.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI've had 2 Savages and 7 Mod. 200 Stevens. All have been accurate but their triggers leave something to be desired. The mod 200s aren't all bad but when that pissers accutrigger fails it's so-long mama. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Man.. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago. same caliber 250-3000. I hope to get it soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Fellas

I'm here to tell you that these American Classic rifles are a product each and everyone of you should have a copy of. I ordered mine up in the original savage chamber 250/3000 which some of us now refer to as the 250 savage. Really nice walnut stock, action seems fairly smooth, free floated and mine so far is proving the be exceptionally accurate. I have done loads with 75gr hornady HP ammo and 87gr Speer TNT's. If one of you fine fellas would like to pm me an email so you could attach my targets to this thread that would be extra nice. I have a few other rifles in my assotment but this is my first savage centerfire. FS

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle in the same caliber, I have heard of savages not having as good a fit and finish as other rifles in the past, but that is not the case at all from what I see with my American classic. Its the first bolt centerfire savage ive owned and I am very happy with the fit and finish, just havent had a chance to shoot it yet.

I mounted a fixed 6x leupold on it, trying to keep the classic look to it with a small scope.

I have 117gr hornadys and 100gr hornady and sierra flat base cup and core bullets to start loading it with, also keeping the classic look to the ammo.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the entire spectrum of current production Savage 110 series are ugly and since I assemble the majority of my own bolt action rifles, I can build an accurate rifle with line more pleasing to me. Putting nice wood on a Savage 110 series barreled action is, IMO, akin to putting lipstick on a pig, in that it might improve the pig's looks, but it is still a pig. Why is it that Marlin can build a near copy of the Savage 110 series action, make it so much better looking, equally as accurate, better stock ergs, and sell it for less $$? The Savage Axis is even uglier and has worse stock ergs!

To my aging eyes, the only regular production Savage bolt action CF rifle that has nice lines and is particularly attractive is the original, first style, of the Model 1920.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage like H&R has no real engineering staff and it shows. Nothing on those rifles looks quite right nor functions very smooth. I suspect they will be defunct within ten years.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ha. best I could do for the moment. 250-3000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the first style of the Savage 1920, the 3 neatest American factory production rifles chamber in 250-3000 that I've seen are the Ruger 77RL, 77RSI, and Winchester/USRA 70 Lightweight Carbine made circa 1986/87.

The 70 Lwt Carbine looks better, IMO, with a 70 Fwt stock installed, since the 250-3000 and Schnabled forearm tips good together like coffee and cream. That said, for some unknown reason Winchester/USRA cut the rifling 1 turn in 14", the old standard ROR, rather than 1 turn in 10", the standard that Savage went to when they redesigned the 99 action in 1960.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My try loads. Haven't been to the range yet.

250 Sav
87 - 3031 - 33.0 - 34.0
87 - 4064 - 35.0 - 36.0

may try H-380 also