New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Fates have been kind and I am now in the position to purchase a new addition to the family. I am torn between a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet and this year�s Remington Classic in .221 Fireball. I currently own a Hornet ( and am well versed in its idiosyncrasies ) as well as a triple deuce, but have no first hand knowledge of the Fireball. I like the Hornet, and since most of the shots I take at varmints are on the short side of 200 yards it serves me quite well. But I also like the inherent accuracy of the .222 and am wondering if the Fireball is as accurate as its parent round.
Feed back concerning the merits of the CZ Hornet vs. the Remington Fireball would be appreciated. Thanks.

<reload>
posted
No, the .222 is the most accurate cartridge next to the 6MM PPC. If you spend the same amount of money the .222 would be your best cartridge for accuracy. It is easy to reload and there is a lot of information and supplies for the .222 The .223 is a good cartridge but again with the same rifle the .222 will be more accurate. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you are into duplicates, as I am, just get the gun that you like.

In theory at least I would expect a .221 to outshoot a .22 Hornet.

Have you looked for a Sako in .221 or a Anshutz in .22 Hornet?

I just called up a old buddy who bought a new 221 in the Rem Classic. He is upset that the barrel and bolt were filled with some black stuff. He had to clean the barrel over and over. He said that the stock is stained beech also!

This guy has more guns than the local gunshop and most of them are very high end collector items (largest Creedmore collection I have ever heard about) He just shot the .221 with factory loads and left it in the "going out the door catagory". He said this is his last Remington. He might buy a 40X however.

[ 01-15-2003, 21:36: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Savage99 - stained beech? Surely you jest? Of course with remington you never know. Seriously, if the rifle is checkered it isn;t stained birch, just reeeeal plain walnut. I've seen a few of the newer classic stock that were just plain awful.