THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What bolt action for a Custom 5.7x28mm "micro" rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bolt action for a Custom 5.7x28mm "micro" rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Ok,got a few 5.7's by FN,both assault and handgun,but thinking a sweet lil bolt gun scaled down would be a fantastic rifle for vermin! Any suggestion on where to start with actions...converted rimfires? Mini-mauser? Others?....or,is someone already making these?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a CZ 527. I don't think you'll find a rimfire that'll take a cartridge that long or the kinds of pressures it'll generate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You've just hit on my pet peeve: Very few quality "mini" actions are available for cartridges like the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, 5.7mm Johnson (.22/.30 Carbine), and now the 5.7 FN.

The now discontinued Kimber 82 was a good one. So was the Sako P-series (72, 75, and M78). The Sako L461 (and successors) and the Zastavia "Mini Mauser" are really too big for these cartridges. About the only really good one currently available is the Cooper, and I believe it is only available in single shot.

I actually like the design and lines of the Ruger 77/22H. If you're going to rebarrel anyway, you can probably make a rifle built on this action shoot much better than the problematic factory guns. The trigger will clean up or can be replaced, and I'm guessing that the magazine might function with the 5.7 cartridge without modification (although I haven't tried it.)

The CZ 527 would be somewhat cluncky with this little cartridge, and I'm not sure how you would solve the magazine problem.

It would be pricey, but take a look at the Anschutz that is used for the .22 Hornet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota preditor??

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I would love a dainty bolt action in this caliber! Who wants the business?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorgen has it right. Stillrt will make the predator with that boltface. BAT will also.

Just got three Predators in. Friday. consecutive serial numbers. All of them for one customer. I think Mr. Stiller made his year.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If money were no object Ultra light arms actions is pretty dainty. My buddy has one in a 17Mach4 and it is perfect size for that action. That gun is scary accurate. Can not recall the model number. Gun is under 6lbs scoped and ready. www.newultralightarms.com I think

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have the first one built and in testing now sent off a bolt yesterday to have a cnc shop look at making a replacement for 5.7 in a 527. the easyest way is with a cz 527 in 22 hornet the magazine works as is because the case body on 5.7x28 is the same as the rim on a hornett lower feed ramp a little set the bbl back if you want to use hand loads or the heavy factoory loads or replace the bbl with a faster twist for the 28 gr long bullet. I tested some new loads last week and got 2800 from a 45 gr barnes solid. killed lots of pigs and turkeys with it so far. the factory 40 gr bt is about 2100 and you can adjust up to about 2700 with 4227 and 40 gr bt

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote