Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need input here.
 Login/Join

posted
I need some input here please. After some years away from hunting and reloading, I'm back at it with some new updated equipment. I've always wanted a 220 swift for varmit hunting. While looking through some catalogs, trying to decide on which brand and model, I came across the WSM and WSSM's. I didn't know that they existed.

The 243wssm caught my attention, but I haven't been able to find much information about it. Which would you suggest? I'm not interested in any others, so don't bother trying to sell me. It's either 220 swift or 243wssm. Opinions welcome.mgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between the two I'd say smart money is on the Swift. Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokepole-
Keep flipping the pages and you'll find Remington's newest editions, the SAUMs, too. I'm not sure what any of the new calibres offer other than short and fat, and don't know if they have the fast twist barrels to handle the heavy 22 calibre bullets. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like your idea -220 Swift.

posted Hide Post
swift

one of us
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you are planning on using it for. If it’s velocity, varmints and targets then the .220 Swift(or even better, the faster .223 WSSM). If you plan on hunting deer then the .243 WSSM is the best choice. Season's Greetings. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
I thought those WSSM's were a big flop?? At least they are in Australia - they have been selling the rifles for peanuts just to be rid of them.

Have you considered the .204 Ruger??

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I.ve always wanted a .220 Swift. despite owning a .22/250, and the advent of all these new "super-dooper" contraptions, I still want a .220 Swift......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of .243man
posted Hide Post
with light bullets (65 grain vmax) the wssm is awesome for varmits, and switch to a 100 grain bullet and you can bag deer with it. cant go wrong there!

" I'd die to win, because i'm born to lose"

posted Hide Post
I was leaning that way, but have seen so much negative talk about the wssm.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Swift, Swift, or Swift... either of those will do.

If you always wanted one Like I did, than that's what you should get. Here's mine, Ignore the nut behind the butt.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokepole:

Don't listen to RUMORS that are being spread by those that have never even shot one of the new WSSMs. If you want the real truth ask those that own and shoot them. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
quote:
Originally posted by smokepole:

Don't listen to RUMORS that are being spread by those that have never even shot one of the new WSSMs. If you want the real truth ask those that own and shoot them. Lawdog
wave

My original intentions were to get results from those with experience, not desires or emotions or other suggestions. If you read above, there are 5 without substantial reason for their suggestions. Within a couple weeks, I'll have enough for the gun and a nice piece of glass on top.

I'm retired and drive school bus on the side. I live on the pension and the school bus buys the toys. The wssm comes first, then the swift, hahaha. How's that for a decision? lol

posted Hide Post
Off topic, here's one of the neatest benches for those who need a reloading bench.

http://www.2x4basics.com/

<9.3x62>
posted
Well, I have shot the new WSSMs - get the Swift. Hands down.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
wssm comes first, then the swift, hahaha. How's that for a decision?

Sounds like a plan! I will admit my choice is based a bit on passion for it. Once you have both then you can give us the unbiased opinion on both, OK thumb

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
quote:
wssm comes first, then the swift, hahaha. How's that for a decision?

Sounds like a plan! I will admit my choice is based a bit on passion for it. Once you have both then you can give us the unbiased opinion on both, OK thumb

NB, I'm half way there. I spent more than 3 hours in the local Cabelas. I walked out with a stainless Winchester feather weight, topped off with a Burris 4.5-14X with balistic plex cross hairs. They also had a 3-9 scope bundled with a pair of binoculars for $200.

Cabela's is running a really good deal on that scope. The scope and a 12-24 spotting scope for $300. The scope alone normally sells for $400.

I have to haul the little darlings a while before I can afford the swift and accessories, but I'll end up with both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The WSSM's are fast but there is one problem. It's called "Barrel Life" I had a friend get his hands on one of the brand new 223 WSSM's when they first came out. He had great groups to start, but after about 100 rounds (he was cleaning) groups started to open up. He tried new loads and then finally bore scoped the barrel. Throat/Barrel was 5 inches of rifling missing. He didn't know if he got a fluke of a gun/barrel, but he did send it back to Winchester and they did send him a new gun. The new gun he got did not have problems.

I have owned a swift and liked it. Barrel life is not great on varmint cartridges, but the swift is a good choice.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
The WSSM's are fast but there is one problem. It's called "Barrel Life" I had a friend get his hands on one of the brand new 223 WSSM's when they first came out. He had great groups to start, but after about 100 rounds (he was cleaning) groups started to open up. He tried new loads and then finally bore scoped the barrel. Throat/Barrel was 5 inches of rifling missing. He didn't know if he got a fluke of a gun/barrel, but he did send it back to Winchester and they did send him a new gun. The new gun he got did not have problems.

I have owned a swift and liked it. Barrel life is not great on varmint cartridges, but the swift is a good choice.

I understand that the swift burned out barrels too. I was told that the wssm are chrome lined. It's noticable on the blue barrels, but not on the stainless. One would think that they would pull them off the market if there is a problem.

<9.3x62>
posted
I had a recentxperiencewit a 25 WSSM in a model. With factory ammo and handloads, it was by far the worst shooting bolt gun I've ever owned. 3-5" groups @ 100 yds were the norm. The brass is also very heavy duty, which makes it hard to use moderate loads without getting lots of powder residue on the case neck and even the shoulder, especially wiyh ball powders.

Had similar experiences with a 243 WSSM. Quality control on new guns has gone WAY down. Personally, I'd looked for an older, used Swift and go with that. Just give the bore a good look before buying.

I wouldn't touch another WSSM. Even as a gift I would consider it a personal insult.