New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts barrel twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been trying out my newest Ruger 77, and Ultralight in 257 Roberts. The results w/ 117 grain bullets has not been all that great. It was cold and I do need to do some more shooting, but I noticed that on some barrel makers sites it list a twist rate of 1 in 9" for bullets over 100 grains. The Ruger website lists the 257R as having a 1 in 10" twist. Am I beating a dead horse trying to get 117 and 120 grainers to shoot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

1-10 is the standard twist in .257 Roberts, the twist isn't the problem. I'd try floating the barrel. I shoot 100gr. Sierra flat base spitzers in both of mine, accurate and deadly. Good Luck.

Stepchild

PS My son has a 77 Ruger sporter in 6m/m that shoots 3/10" groups and it's floated.

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1 in 10" twist is standard.Try free floating the barrel?But the ultralight barrel,is not a bench rest standard.You might want to spin it off,and go for a stifer tube.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redneck64,
As mentioned in my post, my Son has a 77 Ruger that shoots in the 3's. The Ruger in question has a barrel about the size of my pinky and it is free floated. You don't need a barrel the size of a truck axle if it was made right in the first place.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree you don't have to have a truck axle to get good groups. The heavier barrel just makes it easier to find a sweet load. It will usually be less likely to move as it heats up and it heats up slower. I have a little 257 roberts built for my wife. It handles heavy bullets just fine. It is 1/10".

If you think the twist is an issue and want to use the heavier bullets. Go with a short bullet. The length of the bullet is the issue not the weight. In small caliber increase in weight will really increase the length.
So stay away from the long boattails. Increasing the velocity can also help. That being said my wife's rifle handles the 115 Noslers just fine.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the story is good, although the rifle didn't like the Hornady factory loads, it loved handloads, groups with 117gr Sierra bullets were absolutely amazing. The worst three shot group was 3/4" and the best was slightly under 1/2".

The gun was bedded by someone before I got it and they did an fantastic job. I've never seen bedding so perfect. You can see pics of it on my website, just follow the links.

This has turned out to be the sweetest rifle I own, and is truly amazing to shoot with handloads. I'll work up some loads and be ready for next deer season.