THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger 77 Ultralight in 250 Savage

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 Ultralight in 250 Savage
 Login/Join

posted
I recently pick up a mint 77 in 250 savage.I was wondering if it has any collector value as Im thinking of rechambering it to a "Quicker" 25 cal.Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: Up there | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
That should be a pretty rare rifle...

I sure wouldn't rechamber it to a faster caliber if it is actually a factory chambered 250 Sav in an ultralite configuration...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kech.....

You asked; my $0.02 and remember, you're getting your money's worth! Especially since Opinions vary.....

Sounds like a nice rifle, especially the "mint" part. Couldn't tell ya what it's worth but like seafire said (and - I agree 100%) I would leave it as is.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X3, I would leave it alone.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, almost anything chambered in 250-3000 Savage brings a premium.

I assume that it is a tang safety 77 RL. You could always buy a Ruger 77 barrel in 257 Roberts or trade for 77 RL in 257 Roberts.

Since the 77 RLs have short barrels, there probably isn't all that much performance to be gained by going to a cartridge with more case capacity.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.It is a 250 Ultralight.Any idea on value?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingHow much ya want 4 it ? Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought one new in 1983. Reamed it to Ackley Improved [250] and boy was it LOUD. I love the Ruger Ultra Lites but I think Remington has a better idea by skinnying up the barrel but leaving it LONG at 22" instead of 20". TWO inches does make a differnce.
I would leave it alone,,,for at least a month or two. Actually I have thought about putting standard weight 22" barrels on Ultra Lite Ruger 77s and opening up the barrel channel to fit. I like the UL stock but I'm not concerned about keeping it 'light'.
I've considered the same with the Rem 700 Mtn Rifle,,,put on a standard contour/weight barrel but use the Mountain Rifle stock which I think is very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a tang safty or a MK 2 (winchester style safty). In either case its probably prety rare.
My 22 inch tube RL MK 2 In the Roberts is plenty fast with 100 grain bullets,
I asume the .250 savage is on a short action.
If you want more poop from it I would go with a new tube , probably in the Roberts.
before anybody says the Roberts is to long for a short action, Mu ruger long action is throated short enough that my hnd loads 0.010 off the lands will fit in any short action Ruger magazine...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 77 ultralight in 250 Savage. (80's vintage) It was one of the sweetest little rifles I've ever owned. It shot reasonably well. Good enough for Deer in the 200-250 yard range. Dumped a few coyotes with it useing the 100 gr Nosler partition. Had to sell it due to health problems. Still miss it.
It would be so sad to see such a fine gem of a rifle rebarreled or, even WORSE "punched out".
My advise. Enjoy it as is.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't touch that rifle barrel. If you want another cartridge sell it to me or some one else and buy you a 257 R or 25-06 etc. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here's yet one more vote for leaving the rifle as-is.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9340 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.Its going in the safe.Waiting there for a son or daughter to use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't just put it away, start using it! That 250 is one of the finest deer/large varmint calibers going. I've put several does in the freezer with my pair of 250s in the last few years, one of my favorites. If you start loading it and using it in the field, it won't take long for it to be a go to rifle.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote