THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06 deer loads and wind drift

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 deer loads and wind drift
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been contemplating setting up some reloads for a Wyoming Mule Deer hunt in 09'. I hope to use my 25-06 Remington with 24" tube.
Seems like there are a lot of great bullet choices from 100 to 120 grains.
From past experiences the wind almost never is calm in Wyoming, so I would like to know the practical difference in wind drift between the faster 100gr loads and the slower 117/120gr loads? I can figure out the drop, but I would like to know what shooters have experienced with wind drift in the field from 300-350yds.
My farthest range target is 300yds so I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting any further than 300/350yds.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
There's not gonna be much difference in wind drift for 25/06 out to 300 yards between a 100 flat base at 3,200 and a 120 boattail at 3,000 fps.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This will calculate both drop and windage for you.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger#1 25-06 with a 26" barrel produces 3420 ft with a 100gr TSX bullet. Wind is always a guessing game
but this system is pretty good in the wind up to 400 yards after that I don't shoot. Got an Antelope two weeks ago at 385 yards. Held a foot high and allowed about the same for wind and made a killing shot. It was pretty windy at about 20 mph.or more. I don,t like to take shots that long, but that was the best the country had to offer. The 25-06 is perhaps one of the best Antelope guns and the 100 gr bullet is more than enough for the job.
The 100gr TSX is the only bullet I use in that rifle. It is super accurate and deadly.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote