Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sick 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
Is the barrel fully floating?.....is the scope bell touching the barrel????

All my .223s shoot well with 26.5 gr BL-C2 and a 50 grain bullet (TNT) but any good bullet.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a savage 10fp with the accutriger. i cant get it to shot at all. the best it can do is 1.25 for 5 shots. i have had 3 scopes on it and it has been glass bedded . the only thing that it shoots well is the 75gr A-max. what is a load that will tell if this is a lost cause or if i should keep trying.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Try a Sierra 52 gr boatail or 53 gr flat based Match King seated close to the lands (or 2.25 col if you don't have a Stony Point tool) and a strong load(25.5-26.5 gr)of H4895. You won't get maximum possible velocity, but if the rifle won't group this load you have problems other than the load.IMO

Good luck

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Try 24-24.3grs. of Benchmark with the 55VMAXs, .020" off the lands, or 24.5grs. with 53MKs, if you don't get 1/2moa with either of these loads, somethings wrong, just try shooting on a nowind day, though. That really helps. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but a friend has one of the new Savages with the accu-trigger. The first and only load he's tried was 23/23.5g of AA2230 behind a Sierra 69 BTHP. Shoots .2/.3 if you do your part.
This thing is one shootin' SOB!!!

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
non windy days are few and far between here but they do happen. even when there is no wind its doesnt shoot good. the barrel is floated and the scope isnt touching. i got some 50gr tnt and some 55gr V-max loaded i will try them today if stays calm out. if i cant get any thing out of these then im going to send it down the road.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage's have faster twist (9") barrels than some guns (Remington for instance). You may want to try the heavier bullets and see if you have better luck.

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have tried the 75gr A-Max but they ar so long that they dont fit in the mag. i could try some of the 75gr bthp or the 69gr. the v-max's and the tnt were disapointing to say the least.

the best was a little over an inch for 5 shots. my 7mm was shoting under and inch with 120 V-max's and 150 matchkins and they were right at an inch with 175 speers.

maybe i should trade it off on a tikka or some thing.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Quote:

maybe i should trade it off on a tikka or some thing.

I had a heavy barrel 110 in 22-250 that wouldn't group, either.
It also kicked much more than my Dad's much lighter Rem 788 in
the same caliber. Perhaps I should have had more patience with
it, but ended up trading it off. I know Savage has a real good
reputation for out-of-box accuracy, but any factory can put
out a lemon occasionally.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Sask, What do you need a magazine for? You going to war? Just get yourself a benchrest follower and load em one at a time. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 PSS LTR with a 1-9 twist it shoots just about any weight bullet well (under an inch) It likes the 69g Sierras very well .5 or less at 100. Then it really likes the 40g Hornady V-Max, .20 at 100. Granted that is off a rock solid rest and it shoots way better than I am capable of in the field. I settled on the 50g Hornady V-Max with 27-28g's of Benchmark, it shoots these at .5 at 100 and they carry a little better than the 40ger's. So its not your 1-9 twist thats screwing up your groups with light bullets, something's wrong with the gun. I have had a couple of rifles over the years that it didn't matter what I did they wouldn't shoot. You might try haveing a smith touch up the crown on the barrel and just generally check it over, if that doesn't work trade it.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote