New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 600 in 222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A lot of you fellows have had a lot of rifles. I am looking at a 222 in the older mohawk style Rem bolt rifle.
These good shooters? The guy wants $500.00 canadian which is about $375.00 US
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want it let me know!!!!!!!!

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two, one in 243 and one in 308 and both are fantastic shooters.
The only problem is that damn cheap plastic floorplate that bends out of shape.
I keep saying I am going to replace it with an aluminum one but havent yet.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with the plastic floorplate. I replaced it with a steel one that cost $90. No bargin, but I replaced the stock at the same time and didn't want that warped plastic thing.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I guess a few of the Remington 600 series were either sold by Remington or GI's over here; since I've seen some owned by German hunters. They really appreciate these compact rifles inside enclosed High Seats.

I also had a buddy in Arizona with two of them and he couldn't walk in/out of the Clubhouse with them without being asked countless times if he would like to sell them....."No." was always his reply.

A German Forester friend had one in .308 Winchester and he loved it. His affections were returned in Spades, too; because it was a real tackdriver.

When he first purchased it (I won't age myself) - I came home from work one evening to find him already proudly sitting at the kitchen table with his new aquisition (and a Beer - it's Germany).

Before I could even get my coat off he immediately asked, "How do you remove the Bolt?".

Amazed he watched as I showed him; opening the bolt, about half way and depressing the detent INSIDE the action with a leather punch - Voilá (make a note; if not; you'll drive yourself crazy).

I also organized him a steel floorplate years later. Sadly, he has since passed away but his son is still using it.

Nice Rifle.....my reco is to jump on this bargan; Ugh, deal and then have fun with it.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry boys I lost out, FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are good little rifles. I have them in 222, 7mm-08AI, 284 Win and a couple of 308s. The 222 in particular is very accurate. They are great as hunting rifles, easy to carry, accurate. There is a guy in Canada making low cost aluminum bottom metal for these now as well. Makes for a stiffer fit in the stock. I also bought a couple of synthetic stocks for them, which I haven't got around to installing yet. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bought mine years ago on sale at Kmart $99.00.
308, It now sits in a HS Precision syn stock with metal trigger guard. Great gun, short fast accurate, and light. Anybody know where I could obtain a Scout scope mount ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan how do I get in touch with that fellow , if you would not mind i would appreciate it greatly.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCorky Lynn of Grand Junction Colorado has a .222 Mod 600 ,prior to the Mohawk, Mint, stashed under his bed where it's been since I gave it to him 40 years ago.Call me a tataletail. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
elisle [Logout]
Fasteel
one of us

Posted 18 March 2009 06:46

Bucko, I'll get the info and post it for you. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Dan, I would sure appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend has a Rem 600 or 660?? in 222 for sale in his gunshop. I don't know the price but saw it yesterday night. John's Spt Goods (814) 435-3544 or johnmzeigler@verizon.net

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have [and had] quite a few of the neat little 600s along the way and still do have some. The most accurate of all of them being a 243. The next is a 223. The 22s I have had seem not to have been as accurate as I would have hoped considering the reputation of the 222 calibre. Perhaps just the individual rifle? Still! VERY attractive price.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have an address for the source on the metal trigger guards ? iwould like to replce mine.
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
These are good little rifles. I have them in 222, 7mm-08AI, 284 Win and a couple of 308s. The 222 in particular is very accurate. They are great as hunting rifles, easy to carry, accurate. There is a guy in Canada making low cost aluminum bottom metal for these now as well. Makes for a stiffer fit in the stock. I also bought a couple of synthetic stocks for them, which I haven't got around to installing yet. - dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
Do you have an address for the source on the metal trigger guards ? iwould like to replce mine.
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:

There's a guy posting in the classifieds over on 24 Hour who makes them and they sure look good. He's from California and if you do some looking there you'll find his ad. I'm thinking about getting one for the Rem 600 I have. One of the guys who bought one had some good words to say about it.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a mohawk 600 in 243 win. I still have it and will never sell it. In unmodified form it is one of the most accurate rifles that I own. I would like to change out the bottom metal.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the pre Mohawk 600's in 6mm Rem.
It was my first smallbore rifle. I was amazed by the tiny groups!
A friend had more money than I had brains and the rifle left. I have regretted that loss more than any other firearm that has come and gone over the years.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older Model 600 Remington (with Vent Rib) in .222 Remington, was the very first High Powered rifle I had my eye on. However I bought a 700 ADL Remington instead, also a GREAT Rifle in .222. When I was looking at the Rem. 600 they were selling for $99.95 back in 1964.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Guide at www.sportsmansguide.com has the steel trigger guard for Remington 600's they are $79.97 or $71.97 if you are a memeber of Sportsmansguide. One of the screws and I think it's the front one has to be shortened about 1/4" if not the bolt binds up.
Original question was what do we think of them? I found a steal on one in 6mmRem and before I even shot it, a guy had one in .222 that I traded for. At that time my grandson was younger and the recoil of the .222 would be better. I knew the day would come when the 6mm would have been a better deal, but I'd cross that bridge later. My grandson did take a deer with it and my great nephew got his firsr deer last year with it. I later traded for another one in .222 that I gave to my grandson. My bro had one in .243 and he loved it. My grandson now grown and when he was about 15 I gave him a .308 in Win88 it was a match made in heaven--he has taken several whitetails,axis deer,feral hogs and a bobcat with it. Pretty much if he decides to shoot something one shot and it's done.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the answer I got back. I thought he was a Canadian fellow because he was posting on Canadian gun forum, but turns out he's from Oregon.

" Re: 600 floor plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan belisle
I have some folks on Accuratereloading.com that have asked about your floor plates. Ok if I pass your contact info on to them? I could use a couple or three of them my self. - dan
Hi Dan,

Not only is it OK! I'll give you a 10% discount If they buy.

Thanks!

Here is my info again,
Willie Manning
Coquille Valley Machine Works
54511 Arago-Fishtrap Rd
Myrtle Point , Oregon
Phone: 541-396-6246
cvmw@earthlink.net "

Hope that helps folks. - dan