THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Sako L461 222 Remington by H & R

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L461 222 Remington by H & R
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted
Anybody know anything about this particular rifle. I have seen them from Browning and Garcia, but not H&R. The right side of the barrel is also marked "ultra wildcat". Something that is also new to me. Condition is 98-99% and it shoots very nice groups, of course.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These were barreled actions supplied by Sako and H & R finished them and named them the Model 317 Ultra Wildcat. The finished product weighed about 5+ pounds. Available between 1968-1976 they were chambered in 17 Rem, 17-223, 222 and 223. On second thought, the barrel may not have been supplied by Sako. I have had one in 223 for about 30-35 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There were actually two significantly different versions of the H&R Ultra Wildcat. The one 7Xpress describes was produced by H&R as a result of their purchasing the remaining inventory of the O'brien Rifle company of Las Vegas. It was very similar to the rifles O'brien had sold with a 20" pencil barrel and a stock designed by Nils Hultgren.

H&R also sold another rifle on the L461 action which was a somewhat larger (physically) rifle and virtually identical to the contemporaneous Sako Vixen, with a 23.5" barrel of a bit heavier weight than the Model 317 and a stock which was almost identical to the Vixen. Confusingly enough, they also marked this one on the barrel as "Ultra Wildcat". This second one may have been produced entirely by Sako, but there is no firm evidence.

It happens that there is a relatively new dealer's website which has one each of these for sale along with some pretty good pictures. You can see them at http://www.sakosource.com/proprietary-sakos.html

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I looked at the site Stonecreek mentioned, and the 2nd rifle is almost identical to mine. Although, the one I have looks better, at least in comparison to their picture. I also have the original iron sights, although they have been removed for the "round top" base for scope. I was confused, as I was looking at them on Gun Broker, and most all of the people who have been smoking something illegal, have been trying to get $1500-$1700 no bids of course. In my mind I felt around $1,000.00 was about right.

Thnaks you guys.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
By the way, the stock and barrel are consistant with all the other Sako Mfg. rifles I have observed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6x45 was a H&R I just used the round top action..The L-461 Sako usually had the dove tail bases, but a few had round tops and most if not all the H&Rs had round tops as I recall..

One thing for sure that little L-461 action was the best small caliber action every made for the 222 and 223, etc. with perhaps the exception of the L46 clip model, but I preferred it for the Hornet and the Bee..Those were the glory days of Sako, the stuff Sako puts there name on today is junk by comparison IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray!!.......don't sugar-coat it so much!....although I happen to agree with you.

Here's one of my H&R Model 317 rifles. This one is in 222 Rem.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a sako model 75 a few years ago in a stainless model HB laminate 222, don't think you fellas would have considered it a junky piece. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote