New
Find
Notify
Tools

boss or no boss?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to get a good deal on a Browning stainless stalker in 25.06 with Boss.
Intention of using rifle for antelope and deer.But I need to know if there are any real
advantages to this system.What are the pitfalls if any?Does it just cover up other problems
or is it a valid and worthwhile addition to this rifle?

Thanks Turnerhunter

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Get it without the boss and work up a good load. The boss is an ugly gadget that I've never seen work as well as advertised.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BOSS can be a pain to fine tune, but yes it does work. One of the shooters at our gun club has a Medalion in .308 which will put 3 shots into one hole at 100 yards. My 7MM Mag Composite Stalker will group any bullet I've reloaded into a cloverleaf after fine tuning the BOSS. The negitive side is you loose some velocity because of the shorter barrel. I've found that IMR 4831 will shoot to book velocities. If you don't like the noise, you can use the "CR" BOSS that works as well as the brake version.

Posts: 108 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noise will be your biggest concern with the Boss system, they act like a muzzle break in that department I reckon.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For no other reason than they are "ugly" - no boss. I'd rather put any effort into bedding or finding that just right reload to get my accuracy where it should be. I use to have a shotgun with a Cutts Compensator on the end for changing chokes and diverting gas - I hated that blob on the end of my barrel - even though it worked just fine. To me there is nothing finer than looking at a beautiful rifle with graceful lines - except my wife - just in case she reads this.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
The Boss is the simplest way to obtain very fine accuracy with factory loads. We tweaked my hunting partners .270 Browning for a few hours and the groups came down to esentially one ragged hole, he only has one rifle and wanted to use the Federals with 150 gr (Partitions I think they were). Maybe not pretty but it sure works, the alternative is bedding and free floating the barrel then trying different factory loads until you find the best one, or handloading until you find a load the rifle likes.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Another vote against. I threw mine away when rebarreling my Win 70 in .338 Win with a Lothar walther bbl. (and now, that rifle really shoots !). However, I must admit that maybe the BOSS didn't get a fair chance, considering the poor excuse of a factory bbl. that came on the rifle. Anyway, no regrets and I won't miss that ugly and noisy appendix.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to see how many benchrest shooters are using the BOSS. . . .

That's what I thought.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Well said Stonecreek. The problem is not that you can't make a BOSS work, The problem is that they usually change. Any slight change in the ammo, any lot to lot variation, and you have to re-set it. Anyone notice that Winchester no longer offers them? Wonder why? They caused too many problems. And God, they are ugly. They remind me of the ugly-a#% brakes we put on when I was at Jarrett's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another "NO" vote here. Every time I see one of those ugly appendages hanging on the end of a rifle barrel I am reminded of the days of yore: Shotguns with "Poly-chokes" and "Cutts Compensators" [Frown] These were NOT great devices either!
I'll spend the time finding a good load thanks. Regards, Eagleye [Smile]

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how good the deal is. If this is the best way for you to get a rifle to go hunting, get it. The Boss doesn't hurt anything and you probably will get moa or less using recommended settings. Mine works fine. Shoots great. Is uggggly. If you call Browning, they will give you recommended settings for various weight bullets.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Stonecreek
Agreed---in centerfire.

In rimfire it is a different deal. I was at the ARA 50 yard match...and there was not ONE rifle there that did not have an adjustable harmonic apparatus of one type or another on the barrel. Not ONE.

Reason? You cant handload rimfires.

If a guy does not handload, and for some, even if they do, the Boss makes a lot of sense. I have one on my 22-250. This particular rifle shoots as well as a full-race 6ppc Bench rifle.

You can get them without the ports if the noise is an issue.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
The one thing I don't understand,about discussing,Bosses and Brakes,is bringing up noise.If you are at a range,you are wearing,hearing protection.If you are in the woods,and take one shot,who cares about noise.When I am hunting,and I shoot at game,I don't hear any noise,or feel recoil.If you do,you are thinking about the wrong thing.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Don Martin29>
posted
Yesterday at my club range I heard a single shot go off while I was over on the pistol range. It was really loud and reminded me of a .50 BMG. There was only one person on the rifle range and he was shooting a SS rifle with a long barrel. Closer examination showed a Rem 700 in 7mm Ultra with a muzzle brake.

The shooter explained that the recoil was not bad with the brake on and when he was thru with load development all he had to do was take it off with a wrench for hunting and click up the scope a little! (It had a large Leo on it with AO). I shook my head no but could not go on and spoil his fun.

He did say that the rifle just did not shoot well so far. It would not shoot Partitions, Swifts nor the Sirroco's. He said he was going to Idaho next month and his 7mm STW was giving just about the same velocity (3450) with 140's.

So his decision is that the blast is too great for hunting and he removes the brake.

This guy had money evidenced by his new truck and fancy scopes. He had a 80 mm spotter etc but while he claims to be a tool maker he is mixed up on what toughness means in steel visa-vis Rockwell hardness vrs a Charpy test for instance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and believe in the boss--it works---
I just wish they could make it smaller and quieter.

The good thing is my local shop sells alot of brownings and they tell me a boss is worth about $75 to $100 less than a regualar barrel so,
It does make for decent bargain hunting.

I had a .270 BAR with boss--it was amazing--
you could throw almost any bullet weight in the gun and it would shoot to the same point of impact. You could literally sit at the bench and throw in a 140 gr handload, then a 150, then a 130 and shoot them into a 1" group. It shot as well or better than any bolt in my arsenal.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote