New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka Rifles
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
I've been reading about Tikka Rifles being a real value. Anyone shooting the Whitetail Hunter, also known as Master, model in 223 or 243? What are your thoughts of the gun with respect to accuracy, quality and value?

<frankm>
posted
can't help you with those calibers, but I have a Tikka 595 in .17 Rem that is pretty much a tackdriver. Sweet rifle for the price. Can't see how you can go wrong.

<BigBores>
posted
I have not shot one. But handling them, I was very impressed with their fit and finish. Looked very well done, smooth action, nice rifles. I would get one.

<reloaderman>
posted
I've had a Tikka Varmiter in ,223 for about a year, and it IS a tack driver. Great value for the bucks ( no pun intended ). I've even used it to win our clubs benchrest shoot once! Granted the guys with the custom guns were having problems with the wind that day, but it does show you the potential!

------------------
No matter where you go.........there you are!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very accurate rifles, in Australia they have a high reputation.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
I took the plunge and bought the Tikka Synthetic Whitetail Hunter in .243. It won't arrive until next week. I hope it will like the 70gr varmint bullets as well as the 95gr Nosler Partitions or perhaps Gerards GS Custom HV bullets. If so I'll be a happy camper. I'm excited, kinda like a kid at Christmas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rest assured it will. Have you got the factory mounts?
Take care when adjusting the trigger, it is possible to lighten it so much that it trips when the bolt is slammed shut.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
Got the Whitetail hunter in Left hand 223 It is a tack driver. I liked it so much I put it in a fiberglass stock alluminum pilar beeded adjusted the trigger down to 1 3/4lbs
shoots under .500 all day long. All I bought this gun for was a left handed action, thinking I would re-barrel it. Not so, its a keeper first factory gun I am happy with, well besides the wood stock I like Glass stocks.

<hkr>
posted
FRANK where did you get your stock?

<Frank>
posted
HKR I got the stock from MPI stocks, they were the only stock manufacturer to make a left hand stock. Then I sent it to Clarence Hammonds to bed and paint it. I have to say the gun really shoots now, i have shot a .098 group and the gun averages in the high .300 now.

<Rogue 6>
posted
My ss/syn 300 win shoots everything except barnes x's into a MOA or less, a lot less. The barrle has a 1-11 twist which might not help the barnes, although the scirroco which is about the same length still shoots well. Some times the last round in the magazine doesn't pick up. Upward pressure on the magazine gives it a quick cure, but I still do not like it. I wish it was a hinged floorplate.
The stock is exactly like my brother-in-laws Browning Stalker. I've put alot of money into other rifles that still don't shoot nearly as well.

posted Hide Post
I have used both the old model Tikka M55 in .243 and currently use the Master in 6.5x55. Honest and Accurate with a bolt as smooth as velvet, free floated barrel and detachable mag'. You can't beat them for value. I reload and have shot professionally for 35 years, so get depressed if the 3 round group opens up to more than 1/2 inch centre to centre at 100 metres. Now I've had the rifle pillar bedded it is boringly accurate and consistant irrespective of the weather conditions. Yes you can lighten the trigger too much but why bother? It is crisp enough to be useable at 3lb pull, particularly after a hard stalk when the breathing is ragged and the adrenaline rushing. Use the factory mounts and use the low ones. I currently have a Schmidt& Bender 2.5-10x56 with a 30mm tube on LOW mounts. I can work the bolt and use lens caps no problem. Go for it.

Posts: 16 | Location: Salisbury. UK | Registered: 30 July 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Might as well reply for something positive.I purchased a Tikka,with syn stock.It shot so well,I had my smith run a 25Gibbs reamer in it.I sometimes use it to shoot squires,with an 85 gr ballistic tip.It will knock a deer down,with a neck shot.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
very smooth bolt but, the PLASTIC trigger guard and magazine was enough to make me had it back over the counter. If that doesn't bother you, a Tikka will serve you very well.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
The Tikka indeed comes with a plastic trigger guard and magazine. That seems pretty cheesy to me. Other than that everything seems first rate. Seems to be an extremely well made rifle. I love the rifle although I'd prefer an aluminum trigger guard and magazine.

My 243 is a very fine shooter. It is quite fond of the 58gr and 65gr Hornady VMAX bullets with 200 yard groups averaging 1.35". The 85gr Barnes XBT bullets averaged 1 MOA at 100 yards but went to heck at 200 yards so I'll be testing some 95gr Nosler BT's and 100gr Hornady Interlocks over the weekend to try and nail down a good deer/antelope loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
this rifle looks like it has some real potential in 6.5x55 Swede. once i get some buckaroos together i might have to take a serious look into it.

[ 08-16-2002, 02:37: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I looked at a few Tikka's and they were nice looking. The ones I saw had nice looking wood too. But I too was turned off by the plastic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
are there any after market stuff to replace the plastic parts on a Tikka?

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have a 695 in 2506 blued synthetic, crap stock! replacing it with a mcmillan.
Action smooth as silk.
shoots o.k
but the action rusts if you show it any moisture!

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Geez, there is a lot of plastic parts to an M-16 as well but they have been in service for 40 years. I guess that means that a plastic magazine follower on the Tikka is no good. [Confused]

[ 08-16-2002, 23:19: Message edited by: Eagle Eye ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 223 Whitetail Hunter. The plastic doesn't bother me a bit. It is a great shooter. Have shot sub 1" groups at 200 yards and haven't done anything to the rifle. It's nice to have such a high quality device that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

<DLS>
posted
I didn't say they would malfunction or that they were not any good because of the plastic. I just prefer metal parts. Is the cost difference that much more?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez, there is a lot of plastic parts to an M-16 as well but they have been in service for 40 years. I guess that means that a plastic magazine follower on the Tikka is no good.

I didn't say it was no good. I just stated I didn't like it. It's a fine rifle with a good reputation for accuracy. I just don't like a lot of plastic on a bolt gun. On the stock is ok not on the barreled action. It's just a matter of choice and nothing eles. I would give some consideration if the the parts could be replaced but I don't think they can. TC

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this string is old, but I'm curious about a few things since I'm in the market for a 22-250. At the range today I saw a guy with a Tikka Master Sporter. I held it and was very impressed with how comfortable it was. I didn't notice the plastic at the time, but I'm not sure I like the idea. I also have read that they tend to rust quickly. Is this true? Can the plastic parts be replaced with metal?
I saw the Continental on the Tikka website and it looks nice as well. Does it have the same minor problems with plastic and rust? I intend on using this gun for varmint hunting, so do you think the Sporter should be used mainly for the bench? I know, lots of questions, but I have never owned a Sako so I'm a bit worried about overall craftsmanship. Sounds like they're great shooters though. What can I expect to pay for either the Sporter or teh Continental?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Jethro....you need not worry about Tikka or Sako quality. In fact, IMO, they make products that are far superior to production US made firearms. I have owned Remington, Winchester or Ruger products and none have come close to addressing my wants in a factory made rifle....the Sako does and Tikka is close behind. Remember that there are some individuals that would have you think that it is somehow unpatriotic to buy anything but American products. I find this rather comical in light of the fact that many sub-parts in so-called American made products come from places like China. [Eek!]

The plastic part in the Tikka referred to is in the magazine and should not in any way detract from the overall performance of the rifle. I have never seen any rust on a Sako or Tikka....I can say I have had more issues with rust on a Remington that any other make. I wonder if the gentlemen making these claims are just blowing in the wind to place doubts in peoples minds or perhaps have just witnessed neglect. If rust is a real concern for you, may I suggest you purchase a stainless steel rifle. They are less likely to have problems in that area, regardless of the make.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son won a Tikka weather master in 308 in a raffle. It is excellent in fit and finish. The first loads through it were printing groups at .455 at a hundred yds. This is gonna be a rifle he will cherish forever.
Rick [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Tikka in 22/250. Very happy with the accuracy. Shoots around 0.50 inches with just about anything I put into it if I do my part. I too was not thrilled with the plastic, but it seems to be holding up well so far in the recent cold. Just have to get out and try it on some coyotes.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i love mine in 7mm rem. shoots like a house on fire.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Tikka Synthetic Stainless in 22-250 for just over a year now. I have been lucky enough to have tried most of the guns out there at one time or another, and the Tikka is the equal or better of any of them. Extremely accurate, super smooth action, it has become my day to day varminter. I would buy another in a minute. Russ

Posts: 185 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Out of the box they shoot very well, bought a synthetic stocked 22-250 for yotes and it shoots so well I bought two more. Two master sporters, one in 22-250 and one in 308, they both shoot amazingly well. right out of the box.

Posts: 8 | Location: south east Sask | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote