THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: To K or not to K? That is the question.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: To K or not to K? That is the question.
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Pro's are slightly more velocity and longer case life, con's are the added cost of the re-chamber and the dies will buy an aweful lot of brass.

I'd say get 100 cases and set of dies and see how it shoots as a std hornet. If it's a shooter, don't mess with it. If it could be more accurate, have the smith set the barrel back enough to get a new neck and throat, and go with the K-hornet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CP - Pound for pound, the K Hornet is one of the best improved cartridges running loose today. You can get close to 222 performance out of a K Hornet. I had one for a long time and LOVED IT.

It's not just a pretty face, believe me.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courtney,

It depends on how your current Hornet shoots. Hornets are famous for being finiky because of their strongly tapered chambers...Some come out fine and others have problems. The K was first intended to "improve" the velocity which it did, but a side effect was that it made poor shooting Hornet's shoot well. Now, dont think that if you have a good shooting Hornet that the K will make it shoot better. A concentric chamber is a concentric chamber and you cant improve on perfection.

So, if you are desiring a little more in the way of velocity, it's fine. But if you're just not happy with the accuracy of your Hornet, it's time to K.

My two cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've actually had this rifle for about 8 years maybe longer but well before the American version was available and is the Lux model. It shoots very well as is and it has inspired me to get 2 more CZs, a .22 magnum and a .223 varmint model. Both are superbly accurate too. Right now I'm leaning towards doing nothing and using the money for other projects. For sure it ain't broke so it don't need fixing.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courtney, if you already have a 223, then spending money to soup up your hornet doesn't make as much sense. Whereas if the hornet was the top of you .22 caliber line-up, then it would be another issue.

Were I in your shoes as you explain it now, I think I'd invest my money in some other project, possibly a new rifle or pistol caliber totally outside your current stable.

Let us know! We all love new toys.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

CP - Pound for pound, the K Hornet is one of the best improved cartridges running loose today. You can get close to 222 performance out of a K Hornet. I had one for a long time and LOVED IT.

It's not just a pretty face, believe me.

Yes, the K-Hornet is one of the few cartridges that really is an improvement over the factory version!!

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I did mine transform in a K.
I like it much more.
If you don't have a problem wife or money problems buy another one and make the new in a 22K-Hornet

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote