New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 6mm Advice?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to get a 6mm. I like it on paper. 80 gr at 3500fps, 100 gr at 3200fps. I havn't bought one yet, but I would like your opinions.

It would be a coyote gun and mule deer for my wife.

Thanks

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have Remington 700V LS and are extremely happy with them. The only fly in the ointment, if it is one, they will not shoot boattail bullets. However, they will shoot flat base literally one right on top of another, to me that is JUST FINE.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate factory rifle I ever owned was a wood-stocked Remington M700 Varmint in 6mm Rem. I sold it when I moved a while back & have regretted it since. I got another M700 in 6mm & am holding on to this one. [Smile]

For groundhogs, mine likes the 70 grain Sierras and 70 grain Ballistic Tips. I'll dig through my notes & pass on more specifics tomorrow.

While I don't use my 6mm for deer, I *do* use a 243 with 95 grain Partitions. Should work equally well out of the 6mm.

If you find a fair deal on one, I'm sure your wife would be very happy with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zedman:
...they will not shoot boattail bullets. However, they will shoot flat base literally one right on top of another...

I'm surprised to hear that. I'm curious, do you think it's your rifle's individual "preference", as I have one that shoots boattails just fine. I've never heard anyone else say that about the round (or any other for that matter). But, like you said, if you've found a flat base load that stacks them up, then it doesn't really matter huh?!? [Big Grin]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get it!

I am a rabid fan of the 6.5x55 which I use with 100gr bullets BUT I have to say that with 80/90gr bullets the 6mm rem is a superb small deer rifle and easier to load for.

This morning I shot a muntjac doe at 225yds without aiming off (I'm under some pressure as the roe cull draws to a close) The 80gr ballistic tip starts at 3,200fps (mild)and is .5" high at 100. It took the heart out and I saw the strike and reaction to shot through the scope on a (admitedly heavy) sporter weight rifle.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the 6mm Rem for years--Ruger 77V for varmints, antelope and deer; now the 6mm Ack. Imp. probably 25 years experience with these cartridges, and they are two of the best!

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that game a 22" featherweight barrel will be nice. Of course almost any length barrel will work but for the game you mentioned the rifle gets carried a lot more than shot and the shorter barrel balances better also.

For a rifle I like the safeties on the Rugers and the Winchesters so much better.

For the wife the Ruger Ultra Light is made in 243 Win I am quite sure. It's 20" bbl is long enough and you get a very pretty rifle that goes only 6 lbs!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the responses. I definately need to find one. Rem makes it in their Varmit, but it is a bench gun. Ruger makes it in 77. I would like to find a Rem BDL or I will have to go with the Ruger.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is it's the rifles or crown or something induvidual. I've had and shot lots of 6mm's and they all shot boattails very well. I had a Ruger 220 Swift that was the same way no matter what brand of bullets i.e. the 53 HPFB drove tacks the 52 HPBT looked like a ex-full turkey choke, with say 10 rounds of each!? [Confused] That particular Ruger liked flat base bullets...so that is what it got.

As well as these shoot flat base bullets shoot I really don't care, if that is what works best. Someday we will rebarrel them and I know that will take care of the deal. My feelings are guns are like people, they are all a little different. As long as a rifle shoots well I am sure not above giving it a flat base if that is what it wants. I'm rather anal about accuracy so the gun treats me right I take care of it. If not I let it live somewhere else.

Oh one other thing, mine has a tendency to like the heavier bullets, which isn't that unusual. But I did get it to shoot the 70 gr TNT Speer and that bullet goes in and hasn't come out yet, I haven't shot anything under about 200 yards though. The coyotes are like a sleeping bag full of jello. (DRT)

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington makes a 700 V LS, we have two. They are really nice guns and ours shot right out of the box. We adjust the trigger and put a wolf spring in the bolt and go to work. Don't know if you have looked at them or not but you may want to get a Remington catalog.

Good Hunting, "Z"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington VS in 6mm. It shoots great! The best group I've shot with it so far is .264 at 100 yards. It likes the 70 grain Sierra Blitzkings and 3031 powder.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I own several 6mm's: an FN Deluxe 244Rem, an Apex FN match grade, and a G33-40 custom. And I once owned a Ruger 1-B and a M-77 in 6mm. All great rifes, accurate at long range, and deadly on Texas whitetails with 87 grain bullets and H4350. Not really much different from the 243Win but slighly faster.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you might have some difficulty getting 3200 from a standard 6MM Rem. If you want that velocity, get a 30-06 length action so you can seat the bullets out enough to take advantage of the powder capacity. You might get it then from a 22 inch barrel, but a 24 would be better. I can get that in my M70Fwt .243, but I have found most can't quite match that. My working load gets 3150 from the 22" barrel.

A reason that a 6MM might not shoot boattails well is that some were made with a 12 inch twist instead of the 10 inch twist. I suspect the slower twist would not do well with 100 gr BT bullets.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MGC - got my 700 BDL in 6mm Rem back in 1974 when I was lighter and mountains were shorter. It's been a great walk-around varmint gun for nearly 30 years. Started with a 3-9x Leupold, recently upgraded to a 4.5-14x. I've shot everything from 55 grain Noslers at 3800 fps to 105 grain Speers at 3000 fps from the 22" sporter barrel. It's always been pleasant to shoot and reasonably accurate. I suppose someday I should get around to glass bedding it or free floating the barrel or something. What the heck, have only had 28 years of fun shooting this little thing!

Great little dual-purpose rifle and cartridge. Guy

[ 02-28-2003, 02:23: Message edited by: m700 ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few Remington 700V LS in 6MM listed on Guns America, for what it is worth, you can take a look.

Good Hunting, "Z"

<Okie Newton>
posted
I have a remington 700 varmint. I have shot antelope in Wyoming, catalina goats in West Texas and numerous deer in Oklahoma and Texas not to mention a bunch of coyotes and bobcats called in with a predator call. It has also taken it's share of wild hogs. Wouldn't consider getting rid of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot lots of deer and pronghorn with a .243 Win. It has a 25" barrel, so performance would probably be very similar to 6mm Remington with a 22" barrel. For deer, I strongly recommend 90-100 Partitions or 85-90 gr X bullets. Standard cup/core bullets in the 90-100 grain area are fine for pronghorn.

The Hdy 75 gr V-Maxes have been extremely accurate in several different 6mm calibered rifles I've tried them in. Those are excellent varmint busters, as long as you're not worried about the pelt.

[ 03-07-2003, 20:46: Message edited by: Norm ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okie Newton - how'd the little gun do on wild hogs? I've never tried it on anything that solid.
Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have had my 6mm Rem in a sporter BDL for about 13yrs now. I don't think you'll get 3200 from a 22" bbl maybe a 24".I have also taken Deer and Hogs with it here in Okla. I have never had any problem deer with 85gr Sierra HPBT last year entered the ribs breaking two made mush of heart/lungs and broke the off shoulder but did not exit. distance 25 yds. Hog went down at the shot a 200lb sow with Hornady 100gr SP.Coyotes don't even take another step.Good Hunting

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite walking around rifle for calling coyotes. My first rifle I put together was a 6MM Rem. I used it for many years for deer hunting in both Wyoming and Texas. But here in Texas where I hunt feral hogs have taken over the place I hunt most and I ain't talking the under 200 pounders either. Many are 300 pounds plus at ranges under 50 yards so after trying the various 100 grain bullets I moved up to a 7x57 mauser and a 45-70 lever gun. The latter I use at night on our so called control hunts. We are saddled forever with the big SOB's I think.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran some 95 NBT over the chronie yesterday from a 26 inch bbl.49 gr RL22 did 3365.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I have 2. One is a Rem 7600 extremely rare. I have a 3x9 leupold on it but only hunted it once and put it away so i don't mar it in anyway. The other is a Ruger 1B, 26" tube, with a 4x16 Elite 4000 on it. It's used but I can't see where and i can't make any claims to accuracy cause I've never fired it yet. I loaded up some 70gr speers so if it ever warms up we'll what it will do.
You might consider looking for a custom or barreling one up for yourself. i'd go with a #2 26 inch tube. You also might condider twist. I believe there are 115 gr bullets available but you need a fast twist for those.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Okie Newton>
posted
M700, it does real good if I do my part. The first one I shot I couldn't find it. I hit it in the shoulder at 135 yards. It fell about 60 yards in thick brush on a ranch in South Texas. It was recovered after watching buzzards after about 2 days. Since then I make sure I am behind the shield on the shoulder or aim between the neck and ear and it does just fine. I shoot the nosler partition in 100 grain. If I am going on a trophy boar hunt I leave it at home and take my 300 weatherby. The 6mm is marginal on some of the bigger hogs I will admit.

<Buliwyf>
posted
I think the .240 Weatherby Magnum would be a great choice.

B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally have never cared for partitions from the .243 or 6MM Rem. The killing power of those cartridges comes from getting inside and expanding very rapidly. I have killed mule deer with a .243, loaded with Hornady and Speer 100 grain bullets, that went down so fast I thought I had missed. They didn't move a foot. The bullets never exit.

The only deer I killed with a 100 gr Nosler Partition moved about 15 feet. The range was within 20 yards. After that I went to "standard" bullets and they work extremely well for deer size game.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote