New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ .22 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been looking for a new .22 rifle. I've looked at quite a few of them and I like the CZ Trainer the best, but the safety is backwards from the rest of my guns. (push forward for safe, back for fire).

I know this may be a stupid question, but is there any way that it can be converted to a normal operating safety? (Push forward to fire).

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer, but a lot of the BRNO 602s were converted to work the "correct" way, so there's probably potential. Also, how much $$$ do you want to spend on the gun? The Trainer isn't very expensive. Can you justify 50% of the price of the rifle to "fix" the safety?

For what it's worth, the safety issue is why I haven't bought a 452 in 22 Hornet. It's just backwards to everything else I own.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD:

Thanks. That's exactly my thought. I wouldn't mind spending some $ on converting it. I really like the way it handles.

It seems like a reasonably well built gun and it's a lot less money than a sako, remington, or winchester. I just not sure how much we are talking to convert it.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are in the Dallas Fort Worth area I can recommend a very good gunsmith. If not, good luck. This strikes me as advanced work and not for most. I don't have a feel for what it would cost. The guns do have a good reputation for accuracy. The CZ .17 HMR I had was the best 17 I've personally seen. Sold cuz the ammo was way to expensive for the quantity I shot.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have one and I just live with it as it came from the factory...

it is so accurate, I can forgive it of that one little sin...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

LWD - I live in Kentucky. I think you're right, this is pretty advanced work, unless there is a conversion kit.

I really like the looks of this gun, I still may have to buy it Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I came home one day and during dinner my wife says "let's go to Gander Mountain and see if that rifle I like is still there". I said "ok..." as I didn't remember which gun she was talking about. Off we went and came home with one of the Trainers. We might have gotten a better deal at one of the local gunshops, but sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot (or the wife WANTS to buy a rifle) Big Grin

She only likes shooting iron sighted rifles and this one is a dandy. I'd agree 100% with Seafire2, it can be forgiven it's quirky safety because it's such a nice rifle.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those CZ's shoot like more expensive rifles. I have a CZ in a 22, 17HM2, and 17HMR and have learned to overlook this problem.

I looked into "fixing" the saftey but could find a good conclusion.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, another way is not to use the safety. Pretend it's not there or remove it.

Can't remember the last time I used my .22 safety and it is removed from my field .223

Either chamber empty with mag full, or one up with the bolt handle FULL UP.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote