THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Really bad burr on 17 Rem cases - how to deburr?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really bad burr on 17 Rem cases - how to deburr?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 100 new Remington brand 17 Rem unprimed cases. The outside burr on the necks is really bad. I've tried using a normal deburring tool but it's not even looking at it. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you use to get the cases into a fit state for reloading?

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with .204 Ruger cases I'm working on now. Some deburring tools just don't cut that outside burr off on the smaller calibers. What I have been doing is using the INSIDE mouth deburring cutter and holding the outside burr against one flute's cutting edge and carefully scraping off that burr. It's a free hand fumble-finger operation, but it works. I suppose I could use a Sinclair case spinner in a cordless drill to speed up the process, but I'm lazy.

Other than that, I set up a neck turning tool to just scrape off the burr. That works amazingly well, but is a pain to set up each time for a small batch of cases. Somebody else may come along with a really brilliant way to accomplish the same thing - I hope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several options depending on what tools you have available. I assume you have run these through the sizing die already and the burr springs back on the outside?? I think the easiest would be to chuck each case in a drill press or hand drill and hold a fine cut file on the outside of the case mouth at about a 45 degree angle to remove the burr.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks heaps guys - I'll give your methods a try. Sounds like I'm in for a good few hours of extra work to do the whole batch!

No, I haven't resized them yet. The burr is quite pronounced and I thought running them into the die might deform the necks. I suppose I should give it a go on one case and see what happens.

Thanks again.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a burr on a new case run it into your size die. The expander will push a burr out and the die will push it in. The result is the burr should stick out where a trimmer can cut it off.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an additional note, I don't think the standard double ended deburring tools will work for .17 caliber, will they? Doesn't .17 require a dedicated tool? Shouldn't take more than an hour to file trim 100 cases, even if you don't use a drill. Run them through the die first. That's what it is there for.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double G,

I have no experience with 17 calibers, and therefore cannot assist with any of the nuances/specialized tools required to load this caliber.

I do have experience with new cases and the occaisional production quirks of which a burr on the cases lips, either inside, outside or both is not uncommon. It would apprear to me as they've been trimmed with a dull cutter resulting in more of a friction melt than sharp cutter blade - leaving a bulbous lip on the case mouth.

I alway run new cases through the appropriate Sizing Die; if for nothing else than to round out the uneven case mouths for an even chamfer and to preclude a case collapse when bullet seating. I can often feel the burr inside/outside when they're entering/exiting the Die.

I very rarely re-size the new cases entirely unless they require it but rather pop the expander ball over the case mouth and then check to see how the bullet pull is gonna affect the Grand-Scheme-of-Things. If there's not enough/too much pull then I gotta F/L size enough to first reduce the diameter of the case necks to pop over the expander ball.

I also have taken to using a 22° VLD inside case chamfer tool (Lyman(?), IIRC) as IMO it affords the bullet a steeper angle when seating and therefore the bullet base isn't subject such an abrupt entry into the case mouth; especially the boattail junction or the square base of a flattail bullet.

Sometimes a pretty steep angle is required with the chamfer tool to ensure the outside lip is even with the remainder of the cases neck. I've never had to use a Neck Turning Tool to even out a burr; but I consider this a great idea if the condition is such that it would be warranted.

Yes, I do all of this with an electric screwdriver so as not to get too many blisters on my fingers - 100 cases?

Good Luck with your 17 cases & good shooting.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you may well find that the case mouths are not square anyway, so a touch with a trimmer just to get them 90 degrees may work and then you should have a smaller burr to deal with.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote