THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Loads or brass for the 6.5x54 M-S

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads or brass for the 6.5x54 M-S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone making brass or loading cartridges for this caliber, and/or is there somewhere it can be obtained? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman,

Norma makes brass. I bought 100pcs last year from Midway, and loaded 160gr Hornadys. It is fairly pricey.

What is your 6.5? I have a 1903 half-stock carbine. Great little rifle. I carried it last year during deer season in Western New York (Cattaraugus County), but didn't get a shot.

Good luck,

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romag,seems we're on the same page.I bought my Norma brass from Midway also.I too have a 1903 half stock,+ after a bit of experimentation have found the Hornady 160G. Interlock R.N. to give the best performance.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4318 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC,

Well, the Hornady 160 is the only bullet I have tried. Since I am using the express type sights, I thought it would be best to try to duplicate the original load. They printed pretty much dead on at 100yds.

I have some Norma 156 Oryx, but I haven't tried them yet. What other bullets have you worked with?

Looking forward to using my carbine in NY and SC this year.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 rifleman:
Is anyone making brass or loading cartridges for this caliber, and/or is there somewhere it can be obtained? Thanks in advance.

Huntington Die Specialties has the brass. http://www.huntingtons.com/cases.html

It is made by Norma, and is now $45.45/100.

I have loaded mine with both Hornady and Sierra 160-grain bullets and Re22 powder to give around 2200 FPS MV. Both brands of bullets have proven acceptable.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua makes fine brass in 6.5 as does Sako and Norma -any of these will work to your satisfaction. I´ve had some problems with the Lapua Mega bullet though, mostly inadequate penetration. I´ll be trying the Oryx this fall.

Great cal any way you look at it.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Lapua makes fine brass in 6.5 as does Sako and Norma

Not.
See the question.
Smiler

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Lapua makes fine brass in 6.5 as does Sako and Norma -any of these will work to your satisfaction. I´ve had some problems with the Lapua Mega bullet though, mostly inadequate penetration. I´ll be trying the Oryx this fall.

Great cal any way you look at it.

Crewe please give some details of the Lapuas' poor performance.
Thanks.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf & Sons has just announced a full line of Norma brass, including 6.5x54mm for about $10.00 per 20 rounds, which isn't bad for bulk brass these days. I guess Norma just cranked out another lot of 6.5MS in their production cycle, so, tis time to stock up again.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, the BEST bullet I have ever fired in my 6.5x54mm Mannlichers is the 156 grain RWS H-Mantle hollow point. Sadly that super bullet is no longer listed by RWS/RUAG. Have also had good fortune with the 160 grain Hornaday RN and the Norma Vulkan and Oryx. My chrono shows 2360 fps out of a M1903 carbine and 2375 fps out of a M-S MCA carbine. Powder charge is 37.5 grains of N-203(M1903) and 38.5 grains N204 with the MCA. Pretty spiffy velocity from short barrel carbines and heavy bullets.
LLS

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
Graf & Sons has just announced a full line of Norma brass, including 6.5x54mm for about [b]$10.00 per 20 rounds,[]/b] which isn't bad for bulk brass these days. I guess Norma just cranked out another lot of 6.5MS in their production cycle, so, tis time to stock up again.
LLS

That's almost 10 bucks per hundred MORE than Huntington is charging.....

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI, the BEST bullet I have ever fired in my 6.5x54mm Mannlichers is the 156 grain RWS H-Mantle hollow point. Sadly that super bullet is no longer listed by RWS/RUAG. Have also had good fortune with the 160 grain Hornaday RN and the Norma Vulkan and Oryx. My chrono shows 2360 fps out of a M1903 carbine and 2375 fps out of a M-S MCA carbine. Powder charge is 37.5 grains of N-203(M1903) and 38.5 grains N204 with the MCA. Pretty spiffy velocity from short barrel carbines and heavy bullets.
LLS

Indeed! Too bad we can't get those powders any more.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, according to a 1988 letter from Hercules Powder, Reloder 19 is the same as N204, with some improved moisture resistance. They recommended approaching N204 loads from a 10% below rating and proceed from there. I've never tried that, since Norma powders have been available off and on, I stock up when I can.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI, according to a 1988 letter from Hercules Powder, Reloder 19 is the same as N204, with some improved moisture resistance. They recommended approaching N204 loads from a 10% below rating and proceed from there. I've never tried that, since Norma powders have been available off and on, I stock up when I can.

RE 19 and N204 may be similar in performance, but it seems to me that grain size and/or powder density is different, because a 7X57mm case will hold MORE N204 than it will RE19.... Same with MRP vs RE22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right El Deguello, all reasons why I have never tried the RL to Norma switch. I have enough N204 and N203 to last me "forever".

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I´ve had some problems with the Lapua Mega bullet though, mostly inadequate penetration.

Great I have 500 pieces of this for reloading in my 6.5X54MS and my new 6.5X55SE...........................What was the problem?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
I just chronographed the following loads in 6,5x54MS:
Lapua Mega 155 grs, VV N550 39.0 grs: 2290 - 2300 fps
Lapua Mega 155 grs, VV N550 39.5 grs: 2375 - 2385 fps
Lapua Mega 155 grs, VV N550 40.0 grs: 2400 - 2415 fps
Hornady RN 160 grs, VV N550 38.0 grs: 2330 - 2340 fps
Hornady RN 160 grs, VV N550 39.0 grs: 2370 - 2380 fps

1922 made Mannlicher Schönauer 1903 full stock, My comments: seemed safe, no signs of excessive pressure + usual banter on the virtues of starting low and never trusting the forum info

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right El Deguello, all reasons why I have never tried the RL to Norma switch. I have enough N204 and N203 to last me "forever".

Wish't I cud say thet.....

TWO POWDERS I really, really miss....MRP1 and H205!