New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rebarreling a 257 WBY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The one problem I see with the stock that I was unable to correct was the position of the floor plate. It is slightly off center from the screw holes in the action, which causes a slight bind when the action is tightened in the stock. The screw will be hard to turn, then easy, then hard, then easy, until completely tightened. When the action is out of the stock, the screws go in fine, so I know they aren't bent. I would have to re-inlet the area for the floorplate and somehow fill in the void left behind after the plate was shifted. This would alleviate the pressure, but it seems like allot of work for something I'm not sure will fix the problem. Not to mention that it will screw up my nice wood.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, I didn't ask for the cost to replace the total stock, only because I was offered one at wholesale by a FFL who is a member here. I'm assuming Weatherby won't extend that benefit to me, so I didn't ask.

Good points 9.3, so I'll try to answer all.
1. I would agree that the stock doesn't fit well. Recoil and muzzle blast being the problem is most likely not it. I also shoot a 300RUM BDL-SS with no muzzle brake. Recoil and muzzle blast of that puppy far exceeds the 257Wby, and I shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with it.

2. It does foul quickly, but I treat it with WipeOut after every range session until no copper is evident. I haven't lapped the barrel, but I never was a fan of it.

3. A good gunsmith may be the solution. Just need to find one I can count on to fix it. If I put money into it, I want it to work.

4. Barrel has already been re-crowned. Looks ok. Lapping the lugs and squaring the bolt face I'll leave to the gunsmith, if I go that route.

5. Same as #3

6. Shoulder.

You are correct about the sentimental value. First rifle I ever owned, which was bought by my father. This is the reason I would like to keep the wood stock. Just need to get it to shoot right.

Good luck with your 7x57.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote