Find
Notify
Tools

6,5 x 54 MS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
On Sunday I went to the range with My Mannlicher and it shot very well. I was aware that the 140 grs bullets would not feed out of the magazine. A friend of mine said that the 140 grs Barnes would feed because the profile would look very much like the original 160 RN. I have not reloaded any 160 's yet, it shoot about an 1" at 100 yds already. Do I try the Barnes or go to the 160 Grs RN. My gut feel is to stick with the 160's.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my exper. with the MS RIFLES is that the mags. are too precisely machined for the bullet/load they were regulated for,,especially the modles that came with rear fixed sight leaves,,as well as the geometry of the feed ramp and it's angle,,,depending on the chambering,,the 6.5x54's seem to bee the most sensitive to this situation,,but as always,,,TRY IT,,SEE WHAT WORKS [Cool]

Posts: 22 | Location: u.s.a. | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Aleko:

I'd suggest using the bullet for which the rifle was designed, the 160-grain RN, and don't try to exceed the original velocities of around 2350 fps so that it's more likely to shoot to the sights.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything above. I really want the rifle to be as classic as possible. Some tell me to use the Sierra RN others the Hornaday. Suggestions?

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Hornady. It seems to be consistently the best.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heritage,
Based on using both Hornady and Sierra 160 grain Round noses in Military Mausers, and commercial 6.5 x 55 and 260 Remingtons, I can tell you that the Sierras have an ogive that is closer to the tip of the bullet nose, than do the hornadys.

either that or the hornadys may be 263 diameter at the nose instead of 264.

If I load a Sierra to the same O.A.L. as the Hornady in anyone of my rifles, with the exception of the Military Mauser, the Sierra bullet will not chamber. All of my rifles in 6.5 caliber have been long throated for the cartridge to fit the rifles magazines length.

I also saw where either Hornady or Graf and Sons are actually making some 160 grain 6.5mm bullets that are 264 diameter at the base, and 268 diameter at the nose, for one of the older 6.5 mm military cartridges. You may have to look that one up, but it is a recent product launch, although specialized.

Hope this experience may help you a little.
Regards, [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-22-2003, 10:36: Message edited by: seafire/ B17G ]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Aleko:

I get better accuracy with the Hornadys compared to the Sierras in my 1903 M-S and .260 Rem. FWIW.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The Graf 160 grain bullets are actually made by Hornady and are straight .268" diameter, uncannelured, evidently to fit Italian Carcano rifles. They are a bit too fat to properly chamber in the M-S I have.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Norma Alaska 156 grains or Norma Oryx 156 grains.

Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote