New
Find
Notify
Tools

223AI in AR15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lately I've had a bug to build a small caliber wildcat. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to put into a rifle now. So, I was thinking about having my AR rechambered for 223AI. The rifle is a Colt HBAR Elite with a 24" stainless heavy barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. I'm wondering what advantages the improved cartridge has over the standard Remington round. Is it worth the time and expense, or are the gains a waste of money for an already accurate rifle? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Knight,
Funny you should mention this as one of this months gun rags has that exact article in it.. Sorry I dont rember which one, but will try to swing buy the store to find it and let you which one it is.

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's really funny that you should mention this one, because the guy that built the gun you're talking about is none other than the same guy that built my custom AR upper in .223 AI.--Lee Mosher from right here in Pueblo, CO www.insightshootingsystems.com. Mine's a 9 twist, and shoots the 69 gr. Nosler at about 3100 f.p.s. with AA2520. You would not believe the grps. that this rig shoots, with the full range of 22 cal. bullets. Lee has been doing this longer than most of the big name AR gunsmiths, and he is easy to wotk with.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote